12 Essentials ALL Post-Grads Need in Their Closets
When you’re pulling that 14-hour cram sesh in college, it’s easy to fall back on yoga pants and sweatshirts. But while that uniform may fly during your 8am physics class, the real world calls for a wardrobe that is a little more grown up. Whether you are a post-grad looking to upgrade your wardrobe, a senior trying to figure out what to wear to that internship interview or just looking to add a little fun to your everyday workwear, we’ve got 12 pieces that will add some stylish sophistication to your closet.
1. Floral Blazer: Make your wardrobe pop with a printed blazer. Pair this floral jacket from Modcloth ($68) with colored pants and a white top for a chic business look that will take you through spring and summer.
2. Basic Dress: Every girl’s wardrobe needs a simple dress that will take her through the workday and into happy hour. This bright little number from Madewell ($78) comes in a few different colors and looks great alone or paired with a statement necklace or a fun pair of printed pumps.
3. Collared Shirt: A great structured top is a staple that can be worn in a variety of ways. This floral shirt from Boden ($58) looks great with pants, a black skater skirt or even a pair of high-wasted denim shorts for a gorgeously grown-up vacation look.
4. Pretty Pumps: It’s time to perfect your power walk with a sleek pair of pumps. The bright chartreuse color in this pair from Ruche ($43) is the perfect way to add an unexpected pop of color to a powerful career outfit.
6. Watch: Before you get into the habit of constantly checking your phone at your desk, invest in a stylish time piece. This grey and rose gold watch from Need Supply ($100) is chic, yet simple enough to go with everything in your closet.
8. Structured Handbag: Trade in your slouchy book bag for a structured one you can haul to coffee shop work sessions and lunch meetings. This satchel from Matt and Nat ($150) has a removable strap that you can throw over your shoulder when you’re on the go.
9. Graphic Pencil Skirt: Add some personality to your closet’s most classic items by going with pieces that have a unique graphic pattern. The geometric pattern overlaid with a floral print on this skirt from Anthropologie ($158) is quirky and fun without being too overpowering or crazy for the office.
10. Wrap Dress: Wrap dresses are always in style and flattering on all body types, making them a worthy investment piece. Try this ASOS ($135) dress with a vintage-inspired pattern to make heads turn.
11. Chambray Pants: A pair of chambray pants can be dressed down with a white t-shirt and strappy sandals or spiced up with a pair of flats and a linen blazer. This pair from Nordstrom Rack ($74) comes in a dark or light wash.
12. Colorful Cardigan: Add a pop of color to your outfit by pairing it with a brightly colored sweater, like this Kate Spade cardigan ($278). You want to aim for a piece that’s comfy and casual, yet still feels mature when paired with high-waisted pants and a black top.
What are some of your favorite sophisticated styles? Let us know in the comments!