Dressing in the morning can be the most frustrating part of the day. Add in some sweltering summer temps and an unnecessary dose of humidity, and you dread picking out a professional outfit. But we have the key to dressing for work during the warm months: lightweight fabrics, pops of color and layering, layering, layering. This summer, get inspired by these 14 breezy wear-to-work outfits to help make your morning routine a snap, and leave you feeling cool and cute all day long.
1. Whistles Louise Dress ($258): This loose-fitting dress boasts a bright coral color that shouts summer. It’s office appropriate, but fun all at the same time, and we see this transitioning from work to happy hour without a problem.
2. Flowy Skirt + Solid Top: Bust out those hundreds of white tanks and tees that have been hiding in your closet, and pair them with a patterned midi skirt, like this one from J.Crew for $88. Throw on a skinny belt for added style and coordinate with your shoes or a bag. (via The Classy Cubicle)
4. Shift Dress ($325): Once again, Steven Alan got things right. The understated pattern and forgiving fit of this shift make it a clear go-to for everyday work wear.
5. Mod Molly Skirt ($39): Work some patterns into your office attire with a playful pencil skirt. The geo patterns on this bad boy are to-die-for, and you can easily layer on top with a classic navy blazer. Get 10% off this fab skirt and blazer with code ALLISON10.
6. Light and Breezy: The bouncy curls, the flowy skirt, the bow heels… we’d feel like Kate Spade in a carefree outfit like this. Snag a similar high-waisted skirt for $58 from Nordstrom. (via Work Outfits)
7. Pops of Color: Between the bright pink shoes and the multi-colored top, pops of color are making a real statement here. Pairing a dark pencil skirt from fall or winter with brighter colors on top makes your clothing wearable year-round. Grab a top like this at American Apparel for $60. (via Running on Happiness)
8. ASOS Closet Sleeveless Skater Dress ($86): In case you haven’t noticed, pleats are huge this summer. We’ve seen a ton of pleated skirts, but are big on this dress with its nautical shades and simple style.
9. Chambray Jacket and Dress: Chambray is totally work-appropriate with pieces like this blazer. It pairs beautifully with bright colors and other similar, lightweight fabrics. Head to Gap to purchase a chambray dress for $49. (via Corporate Fashionista)
10. Neon Brights: Hello neon, we’ve been anxiously waiting for you since last summer. And now, we’re ready to take you to work. You can find a similar skirt at Windsor for only $19. (via Corporate Fashionista)
11. Oasis Plaid Neck Pleat Maxi Dress ($130): With the right fabric, maxi dresses can easily be office-acceptable. Pick a sophisticated style in a dressier fabric, and save the stretchy, jersey materials for the beach.
12. ASOS Linen Midi Skirt ($54): Linen is perfect for heat and humidity, and this skirt’s rocking the most irresistible bow and pockets.
13. ASOS Pencil Dress With Kimono Wrap ($77): Swoon alert! A kimono dress that works for work? You betcha!
14. White On White: What color keeps you cooler than white? If you spend time outside or running from place to place for your job, sporting a looser top with wide-legged pants like these is a surefire way to be set for a day in the sun. You can find similar white pants at Nordstrom for $152. (via Who What Wear)
What’s your go-to look for work during the summer? Which of these styles has you excited to try something new? Let us know in the comments below or on Facebook.