Make These Salmon Burgers from Scratch in Just 20 Minutes
Summer’s in full swing — insert woman dancing emoji here — meaning ’tis the season for America’s number one, quintessential handheld delight: the burger. This time, we’re working with salmon, not beef. But here’s some realness: We’re often chasing AC during this season, because the heat can be suffocating. For those times when standing over a grill seems like torture, here’s an indoor burger that can be made in less than 20 minutes.
Sensational Summer salmon burgers
Recipe Notes: Use this burger recipe as a base, and try using other spice mixtures to completely transform the flavor profile. You can change the toppings as well. Hummus, sliced cucumbers, and olive tapenade will transport you to the Mediterranean, for example. Another tip: Utilize the grocery store’s ready-made salsas and olive bar for things like herbed roasted tomatoes.
1. Combine lemon zest, garlic cloves, herbes de Provence, and red pepper flakes in a food processor. Pulse several times until garlic and lemon zest are broken down to about the same size as the red pepper flakes.
2. Add the salmon cubes, salt, and pepper. Pulse again a few times, scraping down sides with a spatula if necessary, until salmon resembles a ground meat consistency.
3. Transfer mixture to a bowl and just stir through to ensure all ingredients are evenly distributed.
4. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Using a half-cup measure, scoop and carefully place 4 heaping portions of salmon mixture into the skillet and quickly press down to form a burger shape. Don’t worry if they’re not perfect; they’ll still taste delicious!
6. Cook burgers for about 5-7 minutes on the first side, or until brown and crispy, then flip to other side for another 3-4 minutes.
7. Remove burgers from skillet, and serve while hot with all of your beautiful burger accoutrements.
Show us your yummy version of this burger by tagging @Britandco on Instagram!
(Recipe and photos via Ashley Bare / Brit + Co)