12 Ways to Upgrade Your Rental’s Bathroom Game
Rental life has its perks, but sometimes the design limitations are frustrating enough to make you want to pull out all your hair and get a mortgage. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the bathroom, where all the bad tile decisions of yesteryear are your present-day nightmare. But don’t start pricing starter homes yet! With these 12 DIYs and additions, you can totally transform your bathroom and make it yours — at least until your lease ends.
1. Gallery Wall: Go bananas with an artfully curated gallery wall or two. Don’t pick your most precious pieces; this is a place to play with bright, fun prints that either won’t get damaged by too much humidity, or you won’t mind taking down when they do. (via Decor8)
2. Removable Wallpaper: As always, these vinyl patterned adhesive sheets save the day. Go for a bold print to really put your own spin on your room. (via Melodrama)
3. Acrylic + Brass Shelving: Working with a tiny space? Take down the old medicine cabinet and hang clear acrylic shelves that won’t stop your eye as it travels over the wall. Bonus: Transparent shelves allow natural light to circulate through the space. (via At Home With Ashley)
4. DIY Bathroom Towel Ladder: A towel ladder is more versatile than you’d think. Not only does it allow for floor-to-ceiling hanging storage, but it can be moved to accommodate changing needs. But don’t take our word for it — make one for yourself and see! (via Stories)
5. DIY Gold Sink Legs: Who says all updates have to be practical? Not us. These are purely ornamental, and they look good. (via Lovely Indeed)
6. Pegboard Storage: We love pegboards for organizing anything and everything kitchen, craft room, and garage, but have you thought of it for the bathroom? Get rid of shelves entirely and operate on a peg system. (via IKEA)
7. The Perfect Bathroom Rug: Don’t just buy the first bathmat you see on sale. With the right rug, your bathroom will look like it’s in a boutique hotel (not in a walk-up with no A/C). (via Design Love Fest)
8. Beadboard Walls: Paint them in funky colors before applying them to the wall. When you leave, just make sure you patch the holes and your landlord will be none the wiser. (via PMQ for Two)
9. Lucite Bath Caddy DIY: A lack of handy shelving or floor space means that a bath caddy is actually more useful than you’d think. This chic acrylic version is luxe while still being budget friendly. (via A Beautiful Mess)
10. DIY Shower Curtains: Grab a plastic liner by all means, but get funky with your outer curtain. Fun prints, exotic trims, and more, will go a long way toward creating a unique and decadent spa-like scene. (via Jeweled Interiors)
11. Quadrostyle Italian Syracuse Removable Vinyl Tiles ($50): Removable wallpaper works for your floors too! The patterns are fresh and colorful, and for a small bathroom the whole project is budget friendly.
12. No-Sew Pedestal Sink Skirt: Hide your ugly plumbing with a skirt. Head to the fabric store for your fave fabric and grab some trim while you’re at it. Velcro holds it all to the sink, and you get to pretend there aren’t rusting pipes. (via Little Green Notebook)
Tweet us about your rental bathroom woes @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)