The Sweet Side of Salty: 20 Salted Dessert Recipes
Salted desserts — they’re all the rage these days. It’s all salted caramel cheesecake this and salted peanut butter hot chocolate that. Okay, maybe that’s just the convo going on in our heads. Here are just a few of our recent favorites that will have your taste buds tingling with confused delight.
1. Salted Caramel Apple Cheesecake Pie: The country’s favorite just got a makeover. Take the most delicious apples you can imagine, sauté them with cinnamon and brown sugar, layer them over a salted-caramel graham cracker crust and top them with fresh cream. This isn’t your Grandma’s apple pie, that’s for sure. (via Brown Eyed Baker)
2. Salted Caramel, Nutter Butter, Bourbon and Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream: The name of this frosty dish may be a mouthful, and when you get a real mouthful of it, you’ll find a wonderful combination of ingredients and textures. Best of all, you don’t need one of those fancy-schmancy ice cream makers to create it. (via Averie Cooks)
3. Salted Buttered Popcorn Macarons With Salted Caramel: These pretty little things combine your favorite movie time treat with a delicate macaron and delicious salty caramel filling. (via Lady J’s Musings)
4. Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars: We have one huge problem with a sweet treat that combines crunchy salted pretzels and chocolate chip cookie bars: You can’t stop at one. But with something that looks this good, we’re prepared to break out the stretchy pants. (via Just a Taste)
5. Salted Chocolate Caramel Popcorn: You know when you just can’t choose between salted or sweet popcorn? Well, now you don’t need to. This crunchy snack is coated in caramel and combined with sweet chocolate chips and seasoned with salt to your liking. (via Diethood)
6. Salted Caramel Apples: No trick, it’s just all treat here. Combining the tart crunchiness of a shiny apple with a salted caramel glaze, these sweet, and slightly healthy, delights are our new way to keep the doctor away. (via Butterfly Food)
7. Salted Caramel Filled Molten Chocolate Cakes: You had us at molten. If you like your desserts to be of the oozing kind (who doesn’t?), these individual chocolate cakes filled with a salted caramel sauce will be right up your alley. And because they’re individual, you don’t even need to share. (via Top with Cinnamon)
8. Grilled Vanilla Bean Mascarpone Peaches With Salted Bourbon Caramel: Would you believe us if we told you that when you slather fruit with a mascarpone cream and salted bourbon caramel sauce that it still counts as one of your five-a-day? One of your deliciously sweet, alcohol-laced five-a-day, that is. (via In Sock Monkey Slippers)
9. Dulce de Leche and Nutella Thumbprints With Sea Salt: Thumbprint cookies aren’t just for kids. These deliciously grown-up cookies feature a smooth combination of dulce de leche and Nutella, sprinkled with a sea salt topping. They look great, they taste great and that’s all we could ever ask for. (via A Spicy Perspective)
11. Cinnamon Applesauce Oatmeal Pancakes With Salted Peanut Butter Maple Syrup: Phew, we’re tired just reading that title, but tired is the last thing you’ll be when you wake up to these beauties in the morning. Healthy yet delicious, these pancakes will have you flat out flipping. (via Ambitious Kitchen)
12. Salted Dark Chocolate Nutella Cookies: It’s up to you how much Nutella you want to slather on these decadent dark chocolate cookies. Maybe take our advice and don’t buy the super-size tub, just in case. (via The Faux Martha)
13. Salted Maple Pecan Pie Bars: It may not be Thanksgiving, but that shouldn’t stop you from drowning in the deliciousness that is these sticky and sweet pecan pie bars made with maple syrup and sprinkled with sea salt. (via Pinch of Yum)
14. Mezcal Spiked Caramels: Just when you thought caramel couldn’t get any better, we go and spike it with tequila’s ultra-sexy cousin, mezcal. You won’t mind raiding your liquor cabinet for these stringy, sweet and salty bites of happiness. (via Brit + Co.)
15. Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Squares: Turning kiddie creations on their head, these sophisticated Rice Krispie squares with a salted caramel topping wouldn’t look out of place at a grown-up dinner party. (via Butter With a Side of Bread)
17. Salted Caramel S’more Tarts: Why freeze by the campfire when you can recreate the deliciousness that is s’mores at home with these pretty little tarts and their layer of salted caramel. (via Gourmantine)
18. Salted Triple Caramel Cupcakes: These little beauties offer not once, not twice but thrice the amount of caramel! They are caramel cupcakes topped with salted-caramel frosting and an individual salted caramel. If there were such a thing as caramel overload, this would be it. (via Sally’s Baking Addiction)
19. Dark Chocolate Salted Peanut Butter Brownies: The PB and chocolate combination just went supersonic with the addition of crunchy pretzels. Best of all, this recipe only requires four ingredients. (via Living Locurto)
20. Salted Caramel Bourbon Milkshake: Spiked milkshakes are the new black, and this one combines chocolate milk, ice cream, salted caramel syrup and bourbon. With this recipe, your milkshake really will bring all the boys to the yard. (via Brit + Co.)
Have you salted something sweet and never looked back? Tell us all about it in the comments.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)