11 Surprisingly Savory Berry Recipes You’ll Totally Fall For
When most people think of berries, they think of desserts. There are a million ways to make strawberry shortcake, and raspberry desserts are the perfect way to end a meal. Berries are great in drinks too, like this sparkling blueberry lemonade. But because of their uniquely sweet and slightly tangy flavor profile, the antioxidant-rich fruits are particularly nice when used outside of desserts. These 11 savory berry recipes are perfect when you want to add a fresh new flavor to some of your favorite summertime meals.
1. Cranberry Almond Poppy Seed Chicken Salad: Tart cranberries add a bright burst of flavor to this chicken salad. Combined with slivered almonds, crunchy celery, red onion, and poppy seed, it makes for a meal that’s anything but ordinary. (via Valerie’s Kitchen)
2. Black Rice and Raspberry Salad: Turn your salad into a full meal (and one worthy of guests) with a few key ingredients. Raspberries add a beguiling sweetness to this dish, while toasted pine nuts, black rice, and a mustard-maple dressing balance things out. (via Green Evi)
4. Raspberry and Balsamic Whole 30 Chicken Thighs: This chicken is proof that Whole 30 and Paleo eating don’t have to be hard. With just five ingredients, this meal is a unique take on the quick chicken dishes you may be used to. (via 40 Aprons)
5. Chicken, Bacon, and Strawberry Salad: Lighten up the flavors of your favorite hearty salad by adding strawberries. They bring a sweetness to this recipe that’s a beautiful contrast with the salty and smokey flavor of bacon. (via Paleo Running Mama)
7. Berry Spinach Salad: Sometimes the best way to eat your vegetables is to add some fruit into the mix. Raspberries and blueberries join mandarin oranges to create a salad you’ll want to devour. (via Spirited and Them Some)
8. Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Bacon and Berries: The key to balanced eating can be as simple as using meat as a seasoning instead of as the star component. Here, bacon adds a smokey savoriness to a dish of Brussels sprouts and berries. (via E.A.T.)
9. Salmon, Spinach, and Mandarin Orange Salad: Succulent salmon is delicious, but sometimes it needs a little burst of freshness to lighten it up. Blackberries and mandarin oranges do the trick, while a bed of verdant spinach and a sprinkle of sunflower seeds round it all out. (via The Food Blog)
10. Lamb Lollipops With Blackberry Reduction: Herb-crusted lamb lollipops are an impressive date-night entree. Drizzled with a blackberry reduction and served atop a bed of creamy polenta, this indulgent meal won’t leave much room for dessert. (via Cali Girl Cooking)
11. Blackberry, Balsamic, and Prosciutto Pizza: Pizza night doesn’t have to be all about the marinara. Instead, this white pizza is topped with blackberries, asparagus, mozzarella, and balsamic vinegar, making for a surprisingly elegant and easy meal. (via Kiwi and Carrot)
For more fresh and tasty recipe ideas, follow us on Pinterest.