How to Survive Sharing a Shower With These Shower Caddy Hacks
Calling all college freshman and dorm room dwellers! By now, you’ve probably researched how to trick out your temporary digs or have sought out advice for living with a roommate, but we’ve got tips for the one thing you probably haven’t thought of yet. Yep, we’re spilling our secrets for surviving that shared shower life. We know it’s not the most glamorous part of the college experience, but hey, why not learn from our mistakes? Read on for some standout items you need to score in order to shower in peace. BRB, adding these to our back-to-school shopping list asap.
If you’re a fan of the 10-step Korean skincare routine, or have more than two kinds of hair masks in your shower, these caddies will keep all of your favorite products at the ready.
1. Pack-It Wallaby Organizer ($37): If you’re looking to organize the chaos that is your bathroom drawer, this best-selling toiletry bag is totally up for the challenge. You can squeeze all of the shampoo bottles, hair brushes and everything else your beauty-loving heart desires into this bag. Plus, the hanger is perfect for hanging on a towel rack or even on the shower curtain rod.
2. PBTeen Mini Dot Bath Beauty Bin ($35): When it doubt, monogram it. And in this case, it’ll prevent any mix-ups from your fellow floor mates. This super soft caddy has grommets on the bottom that allow water to drain out, which is great for those quick mornings when you don’t have time to dry it off yourself.
FOR BARE ESSENTIALS BABES
If you’re more of a bar soap and 2-in-1-shampoo/conditioner kind of gal, then these cute little caddies are perfect for you.
3. Simple by Design Bath Caddy ($15): This durable plastic caddy makes dorm life a total breeze. The geometric cut-out pattern isn’t just adorable, it helps to air out what’s inside. Bonus points for the toothbrush and soap cases. Pro tip: If bar soap’s not your thing, use the case to stash your jewelry and/or hair ties.
4. Room Essentials Wire Shower Caddy ($7): In this case, basic isn’t a bad thing. This petite wire caddy is great for hauling just the essentials to and fro. We recommend snagging a couple of these to store washcloths and hand towels on your standard-issue shelving.
WHAT TO STOCK IN YOUR SHOWER CADDY
1. BlueAvocado (re)zip Reusable Travel Pouches ($20): Pop Q-tips, cotton squares, cosmetics and more into these little pouches and toss them in your shower caddy. These durable travel pouches are TSA-friendly too, which will come in handy when you travel home for holiday break.
2. Simple By Design Printed Bath Wrap ($25): Okay, so we understand if you don’t want to bring a full-on bathrobe to the bathroom, but this plush towel wrap is a must-have. It’ll keep you cozy and covered while you’re doing your hair and makeup post-shower.
3. Old Navy Classic Flip Flops ($4): Do yourself a favor and buy these bad boys in bulk. Shower shoes are an absolute must, and these are at such a great price that you won’t feel bad tossing ’em out the second they get even a little bit gross.
4. Wet Brush Original Detangler ($9): Wet and tangled hair, prepare to meet your match. The thin bristles on this brush glide through knots with effortless ease. This brush is the major key to achieving your #hairgoals all semester long.
5. Clarisonic Mia Fit Skin Cleansing System ($219): Every time we use this sonic cleansing device, we can’t help but imagine we’re cleaning our faces with those spinning brushes from the car wash. The Mia Fit delivers squeaky clean skin in just minutes and is tiny enough to tuck into any of the caddies featured above. Your complexion can be the first thing to go when you start classes (hello, stress), so invest in a tool that will guarantee a glow.
6. Turbie Twist Hair Towels ($12, pack of two): Alright, you might think we’re kidding with this rec, but trust us, we don’t joke around when it comes to hair products. This is one of those rare as-seen-on-TV items that actually works. The microfiber material soaks up wet hair in minutes and doesn’t stress out your stands like aggressive towel drying does.
7. Diamond Turkish Bath Towel ($16): Skip the cheapie towels in the back-to-school bins and order some of these instead. These beautiful Turkish towels will add a little luxury to your shower routine, so your shower will feel a little more spa life than dorm life. Not to mention, they dry super fast, so you can tote them to the gym or beach too.
Looking for more dorm room must-haves? Check out our Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.