We’re big fans of cozy, oversized scarves, but it’s still a little early to be busting out those warm, wooly numbers. If you’re in need of a new neck accoutrement to take you through fall (peace out, statement baubles), we’ve got just the thing: the skinny scarf. A little bit ladylike and a whole lot of rock ‘n’ roll, this understated accessory packs a major sartorial punch. A fave of the fall runways — with celebs like Alexa Chung and Bar Rafaeli and fashion bloggers rocking ’em — this is one new seasonal trend you won’t want to miss.
2. Oasis Multi Tamara Fringe Scarf ($17): A Moroccan-inspired boho print captures the carefree feel of summer, while a palette of red, navy and gold hues make this slim stunner the perfect transitional piece. Pair this one with a suede A-line skirt and classic denim topper.
3. Topshop ’70s Floral Print Scarf ($30): To infuse your outfit with a hint of color and ’70s flair, accent a sophisticated criss-cross top with a psychedelic print. Loosely knotted around the neck, this playful number makes any getup feel oh-so effortless.
4. Henri Bendel Python Skinny Scarf ($78): Get in touch with your wild side with a sassy python print in a cool purple hue. Wear it French-girl style by wrapping neatly around the neck, or use it to jazz up your go-to ‘do.
5. Free People With Wind Skinny Scarf ($28): If you haven’t quite emerged from festival mode just yet, an indigo ikat scarf is where it’s at. It delivers all the boho vibes you want without compromising your new fall style.
6. Rockins Print Super Skinny Silk Scarf ($108): Inject a little tough-girl edge into everyday looks with an illustrated, monochrome design. We’re loving this one with a simple jeans-and-t-shirt combo or a funky patterned mini dress.
7. Pieces Mono Rose Skinny Scarf ($10): Rock those fall florals in an unexpected way. This eye-catching accessory perks up everything from basics to sleek office ensembles. Flip it around, creating a clean line in the front that resembles the ’90s choker trend, and style it with a strapless or open-back dress for an elegant and totally chic look. A low, laissez-faire bun is a must.
8. Express Silky Skinny Scarf ($15): For those that like their add-ons on the more minimalist side, this silky skinny is all about keeping it simple.
9. ASOS ’70s Long Skinny Scarf With Paisley Print ($9): When coffee isn’t enough and you need a major boost just to make it past 9am, whip out this paisley number and channel your inner Joan Jett. A leather jacket, black pants and booties are ready to show those workweek blues who’s boss.
10. Oasis Animal Print Skinny Scarf ($15): Leopard is essentially a neutral — or at least that’s how we like to look at it. When you need to add a little oomph to your ensemble, look to this exotic add-on.
11. Urban Outfitters Silky Skinny Scarf ($14): Wrapped around the waist of a flirty fit-and-flare frock or worn split style at the neck, a floral print will make even the simplest of separates feel feminine and fabulous.
12. Ted Baker Torchlit Floral Skinny Scarf ($65): Lighten up those moody fall hues with a pretty pastel print. Added to a cropped trouser and crewneck sweater ensemble, it imparts a subtle retro vibe.
13. Zara Tie Style Scarf ($10): This tie-inspired style has all the borrowed-from-the-boys flair we love, with a fun feminine edge. Throw it on for your next meeting, or layer it over a slinky slip dress a la Bar Rafaeli.
14. Jayley Coco Silk Skinny Scarf ($27): Scarves have a way of instantly elevating just about any ensemble, so if you’re feeling uninspired in those pre-office hours, a skinny silhouette in a tried-and-true print is a surefire way to nail nine-to-five style. No effort needed.
15. Nasty Gal Jacqueline Skinny Scarf ($18): Embrace your inner Parisienne with a flowy chiffon scarf worn loose and long. Whether you’re running errands or lunching with friends, this sheer piece will make sure you do it in style.
What’s your take on the skinny scarf trend? Are you ready to trade out your tried-and-true bandanas and foulards for this sleek number? Tell us in the comments!