8 Beauty Lessons We Learned from Alexa Chung
Alexa Chung is known for being a trendsetter and she just can’t help it. No matter what she’s wearing, whether spotted in the girliest designer day dress or channeling her best tomboy in a Peter Pan-collared shirt, vintage blazer and jeans, everyone on the street is taking head-to-toe mental notes, rushing to their closets and stepping out in the same (and yes, we’re just as guilty).
But Alexa’s influence goes way beyond our wardrobe. We also consider her a full-fledged beauty muse. Her effortless looks are already tried-and-true faves of the lazy girl set (messy hair, fresh face, natural brows — we can work with that), but Alexa can also ace a polished look as well or better than the rest, especially when she whips out her secret weapon cat eye (swoon times 1000). Scroll down to get schooled on how you can get in with the It girl’s beauty routine.
1. Ombre Is THE Way:Purple hair is cool for your wild child gfs, but you’ve got your sights set on perfecting your ombre fade. Same with Alexa, who toys around with honey browns and caramels on her subtle and so chic gradient.
2. Don’t Ever Leave Home Without a Cat Eye: Thanks to Alexa’s picture-perfect flick, this mod makeup look is now a go-to for girls everywhere. It’s a foolproof way to refine any look — bring your cat eye game to Alexa’s level with this tutorial.
3. Switch Up Your Look With Long Fringe: Make those daydreams of you + fringe a reality by refreshing your hairdo with bangs. Starting with long fringe is the way to go so you can have the most control over where your hair falls. Play around with a classic middle part just like Alexa, make the romantic side-sweep part of your weekly look, then use these hair hacks to grow them out in style.
4. A Fresh Face Is Always on Trend: You just can’t even when it comes to contouring (though gals, it’s really not that bad!), so instead rock a base look that simply polishes your features and makes your skin glow. Make this minimalist routine yours every AM.
5. Your Everyday Lip Shade Doesn’t Have to be Red: You reserve a red lip for special occasions, but that doesn’t mean your pout has to go bare the rest of the time. Take a cue from Alexa and find a soft lip shade that works with your skin tone. Rose pink and light corals are ideal to wear week-in, week-out during the summer, while slightly deeper berries will pull together your winter-long look.
6. Cool Girls Woke Up Like Dis: Unlike Alexa, some of us *don’t* wake up with perfectly kinked hair (really, how DOES the girl do it?!). But there are still ways to make your mane look perfectly messy from the moment you get out of bed. Try these tricks to get your hair to Alexa-levels of amazing undone-ness… and all while you snooze!
7. Don’t Overdo Your Brows: Not too manicured, but not too bold, there’s a balance each girl has to find when it comes to working their natural brows. And the key isn’t to fill ’em in with powder. Instead develop a regular upkeep routine that includes brushing in castor oil to promote healthy growth. It’ll be just a pluck here and there from then on out.
8. You Can Always Count on the Lob: Mid-length hair is the cut of the season, and no one shows that off better than Alexa, who’s been rocking the lob-to-bob and back again for years now. It might be the chicest way to refresh your long layered ‘do, but if you’re still not quite ready to chop it all off, fake the look with a faux crop!
What beauty tips do you take away from Alexa Chung? Have you already mastered her flawless cat eye? Tell us about which other celebs’ beauty routines you obsess over in the comments below.
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.