8 Beauty Lessons We Learned from Alexa Chung
Alexa Chung is known for being a trendsetter and she just can’t help it. No matter what she’s wearing, whether spotted in the girliest designer day dress or channeling her best tomboy in a Peter Pan-collared shirt, vintage blazer and jeans, everyone on the street is taking head-to-toe mental notes, rushing to their closets and stepping out in the same (and yes, we’re just as guilty).
But Alexa’s influence goes way beyond our wardrobe. We also consider her a full-fledged beauty muse. Her effortless looks are already tried-and-true faves of the lazy girl set (messy hair, fresh face, natural brows — we can work with that), but Alexa can also ace a polished look as well or better than the rest, especially when she whips out her secret weapon cat eye (swoon times 1000). Scroll down to get schooled on how you can get in with the It girl’s beauty routine.
1. Ombre Is THE Way:Purple hair is cool for your wild child gfs, but you’ve got your sights set on perfecting your ombre fade. Same with Alexa, who toys around with honey browns and caramels on her subtle and so chic gradient.
2. Don’t Ever Leave Home Without a Cat Eye: Thanks to Alexa’s picture-perfect flick, this mod makeup look is now a go-to for girls everywhere. It’s a foolproof way to refine any look — bring your cat eye game to Alexa’s level with this tutorial.
3. Switch Up Your Look With Long Fringe: Make those daydreams of you + fringe a reality by refreshing your hairdo with bangs. Starting with long fringe is the way to go so you can have the most control over where your hair falls. Play around with a classic middle part just like Alexa, make the romantic side-sweep part of your weekly look, then use these hair hacks to grow them out in style.
4. A Fresh Face Is Always on Trend: You just can’t even when it comes to contouring (though gals, it’s really not that bad!), so instead rock a base look that simply polishes your features and makes your skin glow. Make this minimalist routine yours every AM.
5. Your Everyday Lip Shade Doesn’t Have to be Red: You reserve a red lip for special occasions, but that doesn’t mean your pout has to go bare the rest of the time. Take a cue from Alexa and find a soft lip shade that works with your skin tone. Rose pink and light corals are ideal to wear week-in, week-out during the summer, while slightly deeper berries will pull together your winter-long look.
6. Cool Girls Woke Up Like Dis: Unlike Alexa, some of us *don’t* wake up with perfectly kinked hair (really, how DOES the girl do it?!). But there are still ways to make your mane look perfectly messy from the moment you get out of bed. Try these tricks to get your hair to Alexa-levels of amazing undone-ness… and all while you snooze!
7. Don’t Overdo Your Brows: Not too manicured, but not too bold, there’s a balance each girl has to find when it comes to working their natural brows. And the key isn’t to fill ’em in with powder. Instead develop a regular upkeep routine that includes brushing in castor oil to promote healthy growth. It’ll be just a pluck here and there from then on out.
8. You Can Always Count on the Lob: Mid-length hair is the cut of the season, and no one shows that off better than Alexa, who’s been rocking the lob-to-bob and back again for years now. It might be the chicest way to refresh your long layered ‘do, but if you’re still not quite ready to chop it all off, fake the look with a faux crop!
What beauty tips do you take away from Alexa Chung? Have you already mastered her flawless cat eye? Tell us about which other celebs’ beauty routines you obsess over in the comments below.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.