9 Seriously Clever Holiday Decor Ideas for Small Spaces
Love all those gorgeously decorated giant Christmas trees and dramatic decor ideas you’re seeing in stores as you walk by, on Pinterest, and on your Facebook feed? Us too but, as city dwellers, most of us have a much smaller space to work with. Luckily, we’ve become pros at the making the most of a wall, a few pieces of paper, or a string of lights.
Here are 9 clever DIY holiday ideas for folks who are decorating a small space.
1. Patterned Wall Tree: First up, this awesome patterned wall tree! This is one of our favorite projects this year. It’s a great way to use fabric scraps to make the tree and other odds and ends as the ornaments. If you want to do it even more on the cheap, you can substitute wrapping paper for the fabric.
2. Washi Tape Fireplace: Next up, we created this festive washi fireplace for our first official pop-up shop, Brit + Co SF, here in San Francisco. If you’re a Bay Area resident, you’ll have to come check it out in person! Click through to this tutorial to see how to make one of your own.
3. Origami Paper Wreaths: How fun and vibrant are these paper wreaths? All you need to make them is brightly-colored origami or craft paper, a hole punch, and tape!
4. Knotted Felt + Leather Garland: If you’re not putting up a tree this year, add some festive decor to bookshelves, mantels, and the like by making a few of these simple felt garlands. You can use any combination of colors you like, and we added a few leather knots in there to add more texture and shape.
5. Make a Marquee: Joy to the world, marquees are actually a breeze to make! Make one like this and use it to bring a pop of holiday cheer to your kitchen, desk, or dresser. And if you live in San Francisco, you can learn how to make this very JOY marquee and even take one home. Sign up for the class right here.
6. Glitter Snow Globes: Onto more desktop decor! We created a glittery take on the DIY snow globe with this clever hack. We love how the glitter falls gently onto the white pine trees. Get a kit to make your own by heading to the Brit + Co. shop.
7. Washi Tape Christmas Tree: And now, a blast from the past! This was last year’s wall tree hack, made using one of our favorite materials ever: washi tape. You can create triangular shapes, stripes, and even tree toppers. So cute!
8. Fabric Wall Mantel: If you want to create a more portable mantel than the washi option, you can create a fabric one! Adorn with stockings for the holidays, then fold up and save for next year!
9. The Biggest Ornament Ever: Finally, the biggest DIY ornament ever! This is a great way to add instant holiday spirit to any scene, even if you’re not doing any other decorating this year.
What types of decorating will you do this year? Any other small space ideas we should check out? Talk to us in the comments below.