9 Seriously Clever Holiday Decor Ideas for Small Spaces
Love all those gorgeously decorated giant Christmas trees and dramatic decor ideas you’re seeing in stores as you walk by, on Pinterest, and on your Facebook feed? Us too but, as city dwellers, most of us have a much smaller space to work with. Luckily, we’ve become pros at the making the most of a wall, a few pieces of paper, or a string of lights.
Here are 9 clever DIY holiday ideas for folks who are decorating a small space.
1. Patterned Wall Tree: First up, this awesome patterned wall tree! This is one of our favorite projects this year. It’s a great way to use fabric scraps to make the tree and other odds and ends as the ornaments. If you want to do it even more on the cheap, you can substitute wrapping paper for the fabric.
3. Origami Paper Wreaths: How fun and vibrant are these paper wreaths? All you need to make them is brightly-colored origami or craft paper, a hole punch, and tape!
4. Knotted Felt + Leather Garland: If you’re not putting up a tree this year, add some festive decor to bookshelves, mantels, and the like by making a few of these simple felt garlands. You can use any combination of colors you like, and we added a few leather knots in there to add more texture and shape.
7. Washi Tape Christmas Tree: And now, a blast from the past! This was last year’s wall tree hack, made using one of our favorite materials ever: washi tape. You can create triangular shapes, stripes, and even tree toppers. So cute!
8. Fabric Wall Mantel: If you want to create a more portable mantel than the washi option, you can create a fabric one! Adorn with stockings for the holidays, then fold up and save for next year!
9. The Biggest Ornament Ever: Finally, the biggest DIY ornament ever! This is a great way to add instant holiday spirit to any scene, even if you’re not doing any other decorating this year.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)