It should be no secret that we’re rather batty over garlands here at Brit HQ. They’re an easy way to add festive cheer to just about any event, and the holidays are no exception. We’ve already shared our favorite DIY holiday garlands from all over the web, but it’s time to serve up a brand new one of our own. Inspired by this fun Anthropologie garland, our Knotted Felt and Leather Garland is colorful, cozy, and the materials cost less than $5! Read on to see how it’s done.
– 6 9×12-inch felt sheets (yields a 4-foot garland)
– 1 piece of leather or faux leather
– fabric scissors
1. Cut felt lengthwise into 1-inch strips.
2. Cut each strip in half.
3. Tie each piece of felt into a knot, where the knot is situated in the middle of the strip.
4. Repeat with all your felt.
5. Thread a needle but leave the thread on the spool (so you can keep the garland going as long as possible).
6. Stick the needle through the center knot of a piece of felt.
7. Repeat with all your felt knots until you’re done!
8. Hang on a mantel, a tree, or on the wall.
For color palette, we went with a more gem tone set of hues rather than the traditional red, green, gold, and silver.
First, cut your felt lengthwise into 1-inch strips. Then cut these strips in half. Tie each strip into a knot, situating the knot right in the center of the strip.
Do the same with all of your felt.
And your leather!
Now you should have a pile of bows that looks something like this.
Thread your needle but keep the thread attached to the spool. This makes it so you can make your garland as long as possible, and can even cut more felt if you get to the end and want it even longer. Stick the needle through the center knot of your first felt knot.
Continue on with all your felt knots.
Keep on going — you’re almost done!
Voila! Tie off both ends and you’re ready to hang this sucker up.
We adorned our mantel to add a rich pop of color to an otherwise gold and white scene.
What type of DIY garlands have you made for the holidays? Or any other event? Talk to us in the comments below.