We are all lifelong learners. Just because pop quizzes and term papers are a thing of the past for some of us doesn’t mean that our thirst for knowledge is quenched. Luckily, we don’t need to pay tuition and fill out applications if we want to pick up new skills — we can just check out our smartphones! (They sure are smart.) There are countless apps out there that will help with your personal and professional growth. Here are 10 that will teach you something new every day.
1. Become bilingual — or trilingual: You can pick up a foreign language without having to sign up for a Berlitz class. Duolingo turns the learning process into a game by allowing you to pick up one of more than a dozen languages through a series of speaking, listening and visual exercises. With the convenience of being able to study on the go, you’ll be a master linguist in no time.
2. Sharpen your #girlboss skills:Levo League recently debuted their Thinking Talents app complete with a quiz to help you assess your strengths in the workplace. The best part is that you can share your results with coworkers and friends to get a sense of how your skills can best complement each other. If you’re thinking of starting a business with your friends, this app is a must.
DL It: Free on iOS
3. Become a master chef: Most of us have a few go-to dishes in our repertoire, but don’t branch out from there. If you want to expand your recipe bank, food journalist and author Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything is the way to go. Aside from recipes, there are kitchen tips and shopping lists built in to make your time in the kitchen more efficient. And there’s is a vegetarian version of the app you can download if you are an herbivore.
DL It: $9.99 on iOS
4. Get your art history on: Whether you are an art buff or want to appear more knowledgeable the next time you’re at a museum, this is the app for you. With Daily Art you’ll examine a new masterpiece each day, read about its history and the artist.
5. Get informed: LinkedIn recently updated their news app, Pulse, making it one of the best resources for business, career and trend information. Unlike traditional newspapers, there is no subscription fee for Pulse, and it is one of the best sources for learning about how to advance in your career and what is happening in the working world.
6. Learn to invest: If you want to diversify your portfolio but find the stock market overwhelming, Trade Hero is here to help. Aside from being able to buy, sell and trade stocks, you’ll also receive pro tips and support so you can make the most educated decisions when it comes to investing in stocks.
7. Teach Others: The updated iTunes U now allows instructors to collect and grade assignments. It is also teaching us to be greener since by nature it forces you to go paperless. Not a teacher? You can still use this app! There is a wide library of free college-level courses so you can take that elective you missed out on.
DL It: Free on iOS
8. Become a Wordsmith: Lexicon nerds, rejoice! The Word of the Day app was build for you. The title says it all; you’ll be sent a new word and definition each day so you’ll eventually have the most impressive vocabulary out of all of your friends.
DL It: Free on iOS
9. Teach Your Kids: This is a great app for parents who want to help their tween or teen prep for high school or college. Kahn Academy allows your child to refresh their skills in past course levels and get ahead of the curve by learning advanced content. The app also features tools for parents and teachers.
10. Become a Stock Market Whiz: Similar to Trade Hero, the Stock Market app will help you learn the ins and outs of wall street. Aside from offering easy-to-follow graphs and charts, this app features great video content on investing and stock basics.
Which of these apps will you be downloading? Let us know in the comments.