Who says you need tortilla chips to make a batch of delicious, ooey-gooey, cheesy nachos? For this crowd-pleasing recipe, we fused two of our favorite appetizers into one. Whip up a batch of crispy smashed potatoes and top with your favorite nacho fixings (beans, check! Salsa, check! Avocado, triple check!) for a marriage of yummy flavors.
- 1 pound dutch yellow baby potatoes
- 1/3 cup olive oil (plus more for greasing the pan)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (plus more for boiling the potatoes)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (we used a combo of orange and white)
- nacho toppings (we like chunky salsa, black beans, diced avocado, greek yogurt, and jalapeño slices!)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a large baking sheet. Add potatoes, water, and a hefty pinch of salt to a large pot and bring to a boil. Cook the potatoes until fork-tender, about 15-20 minutes.
2. Drain the water from the pot and add potatoes to your greased baking sheet. Using the back of a metal measuring cup (you can also use a potato masher or fork), mash each potato until flattened. Make sure the potatoes don’t break apart. Drizzle with olive oil and brush to coat. Season with salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and garlic powder. Roast in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
3. Remove tray from the oven and evenly sprinkle the shredded cheese over each potato. Place back in the oven and continue cooking until the cheese is melted and potatoes are crisp, about 5-7 minutes.
4. Allow the smashed potatoes to cool slightly, then transfer to a platter and top with your nacho fixings! Serve warm.
Love what you see? Follow us on Pinterest for more easy + delicious recipe ideas.