19 Shirt Dresses That Slay for Work and Play
Every lazy girl knows that a shirt dress, just like your favorite wear-anywhere jumpsuit, is the key to an Insta-worthy #OOTD without all the effort. Toeing the line between polished and casual-cool, they just get you and your frills-free sense of style, plus they’re just as versatile as any classic closet basic. But the major thing they have going for them that your go-to t-shirt-and-jeans combo doesn’t is their insane ability to kick it anytime, anywhere, while nailing that little thing known as one-and-done dressing. Dig it? Now that warm weather is in full swing, the shirt dress is just the piece you need to make the transition to summer a total breeze. So say sayonara to that arsenal of comfy pants and sweater dresses you’ve been rocking since fall, and scroll on for the 19 throw-on-and-go shirt dresses you need in your life now.
1. Madewell Denim Courier Shirt Dress ($98): Meet the perfect denim dress that will put your favorite pair of jeans to shame. It’s so cool and effortless, you’ll be looking for any reason to pull it out. Paired with gladiators, a bandana and a beachy straw bag, consider it a key component to your warm weather uniform.
2. Zara Printed Tunic ($70): Putting together a boardroom-appropriate ensemble doesn’t have to mean reaching for your most blasé duds. Teamed with ankle boots and bold red lipstick, this flowery frock is about to become your new power suit.
3. C/MEO COLLECTIVE Fiction Shirt Dress ($150): Minimalists, eat your hearts out. Streamlined styling and modern details like wide sleeves and a dramatic tie waist combine for an understated getup that will make you stand out. For maximum impact, treat the clean, neutral hue as a backdrop for quirky, colorful accessories with RN appeal.
4. Loft Flippy Shirtdress ($90): When you’re not wearing this pretty paisley number with espadrille wedges and dazzling drop earrings for date night or an after-hours hang sesh with the girls, toss it on top of a sleek swimsuit for a beach-day getup that makes the transition from sand to street so easy.
5. H&M Fine-Knit Dress ($35): Your go-to sweats are about to have some major competition with this striped t-shirt dress joining your closet’s ranks. A shoo-in for your weekend routine (sporty slides and all), it can hold it down on-the-clock too with a sleeveless blazer and polished menswear-inspired platform flats.
6. Lazy Oaf Short Sleeve Sheer Shirt Dress in Sweet Stuff Print ($110): Not for the faint of heart, this sheer pop-art stunner is all about showing off. Insta-worthy coverup or a GNO getup that is straight-up #goals — you decide.
7. & Other Stories Oversized Twill Shirt Dress ($95): If you’re stuck in an LBD rut, think outside the sartorial box this season by giving this pocketed shirt dress a try. Dress it up with a statement belt and an easy updo, or play it cool with a laid-back leather backpack and huarache flats.
8. Mara Hoffman Button Down Shirtdress ($264): For a festival getup that doesn’t rely on cutoffs, crochet or even fringe, feast your eyes on this tropical floral shirt dress. DO wear it with high tops, a denim vest and kaleidoscope sunnies for an ah-mazingly ’80s-esque ensemble that’s ready to turn some heads.
9. Free People Looking for Love Henley ($128): Stand out in a sea of denim and suede A-line minis with this ’70s-inspired henley dress that will look as cute with clogs and oversized hexagonal sunnies as it would with crossover slingbacks and a tassel ear jackets.
10. Forever 21 Genuine Suede Shirt Dress ($70): Enter the suede dress of your dreams that will straight-up stun all festival season long. While you can totally rock it on its own, we love the idea of layering it over a long floral dress and western ankle boots after the sun sets over the main stage. Throw a wide-brimmed hat and beachy waves into the equation for instant festival goddess status.
11. Tiny Caviana Shirt Dress ($148): Think of this pleated number as your new weekend standard, where comfort and color rule supreme. The flowy silhouette keeps this printed piece light and low key, especially when you’re laced up in bright canvas kicks.
12. Monki Printed Oversized Shirt Dress ($49): Who knew a shirt dress could demand this much attention? The eclectic, illustrated print is a far cry from your average LWD and is guaranteed to get you noticed no matter what’s on the agenda. Wear it with knee-high gladiators and colorful shades, then watch as the compliments come rolling in.
13. Reformation Dozer Dress ($58): Whether you tuck it into tried-and-true denim or let it hang loose, this relaxed, long-line tee can do no wrong. Achieve French-girl perfection by styling it alongside a knotted silk scarf and a don’t-care ‘do.
14. BCBGMAXAZRIA Bradyn Floral Print-Blocked Shirt Dress ($228): Go from desk to date just like that with a sophisticated shirt dress — just switch out your work-ready pumps for a pair of strappy sandals + toss a leather jacket on top for major cool-girl glamour points.
15. & Other Stories Collage Letters Print Dress ($95): Let us spell it out for you — THIS is the shirt dress you need in your lineup stat. Wear it for backyard bashes, baseball games or your fave band’s next gig — you name it.
16. Fred Perry Polka Dot Shirt Dress ($190): Celebrate the onset of warm weather (and the glorious picnics and sunny afternoons that go along with it) with a polka dot shirt dress that will inspire you to do less. Bust it out with simple white sneakers and a straw cross body bag for a low-key look.
17. Talula Century Dress ($65): If you thought your weekend wardrobe couldn’t get any easier, think again. The relaxed, fuss-free silhouette was practically made with Sunday mornings in mind. Slip it on with lace-up espadrilles and a graphic kimono after a long night out for a two-second look that will earn you major style cred.
18. Zara Striped Tunic ($50): Dotted with petite palm trees, this short-sleeve shirt dress is flipping the script on everyday stripes. Play up its vacay-ready vibes with a bright pineapple clutch bag and an It-girl-approved straw hat. Bonus points for vibrant pom-pom embellishments.
19. Mango Flowy Print Dress ($60): Usher in lazy summer days with this effortless gingham dress that would be perfect for a picnic in the park or a leisurely lunch at a sidewalk cafe. Don’t overthink it: All you need for an elevated off-duty look is a denim jacket, leather backpack and swoon-worthy vintage kicks.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.