Whether you’re a fan of funky technicolor prints or consider yourself more of a minimalist muse when it comes to fashion, the capsule wardrobe is the one thing your closet has been missing. Curating your closet definitely has its benefits: Impulse buys and the dreaded “I have nothing to wear” declaration become a thing of the past (big news for your sanity and your wallet). If you’re gearing up to get your spring capsule wardrobe into full swing — or are simply looking for a few on-point pieces to segue your style into the new season — consider this list your definitive guide. Beyond closet basics (tees, jeans and a killer day dress), you’ll find some of spring’s trendiest shoes, bags and accessories too. Scroll on for 21 pieces that would make a killer contribution to your pared-down wardrobe.
1. & Other Stories Belted Trench Coat ($195): An elegant trench is the answer to spring showers and blustery winds alike. Modern tailoring lends itself to a fluid and effortless silhouette, which partners perfectly with all-occasion denim and a silky blouse for your new favorite off-duty ensemble.
2. ASOS Topic Slip On Mule Sandals ($51): Forget ballerina flats — mixed-media mules are the shoes you need in your arsenal this season. The neutral hue and on-trend style can hang with everything in your closet (a capsule wardrobe must) and will instantly give basic pieces major of-the-moment edge. Oh, and they show off your toesies too, which makes for a great excuse to get a pedi.
3. H&M Viscose Dress ($25): Your favorite throw-on-and-go dress gets a graphic makeover for spring with a chic mosaic print. Dress it up for brunch with your BFFs, or toss it on with a belt and relaxed-fit denim for an afternoon of thrift shopping and cafe hopping.
4. Mango Flap Cross-Body Bag ($40): If you thought capsule meant lack of color, think again. Accessories are what will help give those 37 pieces in your slimmed-down wardrobe a punch of personality, and this sunny yellow saddlebag is ready to rise to the challenge.
5. Banana Republic Medium Wash Crop Flare ($98): No capsule wardrobe is complete without a good pair of jeans. Whether you wear them with a ribbed high-neck tunic or a simple striped tee, this shortened-up set pulls everything together.
6. Express Brow Bar Aviator Sunglasses ($30): Consider these street style-approved shades a critical component of any outdoor concert series or leisurely picnic in the park. Throw a white leather jacket and colorful silk scarf into the mix for endless It-girl appeal.
7. Madewell Whisper Cotton Crewneck Tee ($32): This super soft tee is the building block on which endless on-point #OOTDs are built. Tuck it into a swishy skirt, then tack on mules and drop earrings for an easygoing outfit that makes the transition from desk to dinner an exercise in effortless. The only thing that’s missing? A flirty cat eye and a swipe of berry lipstick.
8. Jeffrey Campbell Berwyn Booties ($200): You’ve been living in ankle boots all season long, but with warm weather on the horizon, lightened-up stompers are definitely in order. Cool cutouts and an open toe give the wear-with-anything silhouette you love seasonal appeal. Elevate joggers and flirty floral dresses in seconds by simply slipping these bad boys on.
9. Babaton Jude Skirt ($110): Why let dresses steal the spotlight? A trusty pleated midi works overtime to deliver both boardroom-appropriate ensembles that bring it and date-night getups that straight-up slay. Switch up your look from day to night with a quick shoe change and statement baubles.
10. Norma Kamali Sleeveless Tie Front Jumpsuit ($150): And because you’re over that LBD routine, better add this OMG-worthy jumpsuit into the mix too. Step into this stunner with a pair of rose gold criss-cross mules and watch as the double taps roll in. #nailedit
11. Reformation Camille Top ($98): Layered up or worn on its own, this slip-style cami will quickly become the piece you reach for again and again. Paired with a blazer, wide leg trousers and a funky flower crown, it has major wedding guest potential and breaks away from the party dress routine.
12. Zara Belted Blazer Robe ($149): This easygoing blazer was made with lazy girls in mind. Layering is a no-brainer (we love it with those cropped jeans and silky cami, just sayin’), but if you’re feeling daring, rock it solo with layered necklaces for va-va-voom effect.
13. Forever21 Suede Lace-Up Flats ($25): When sneakers are too casual but pumps feel a bit over the top, a pair of next-level ghillies will always do you right. Case in point: these sweet suede steppers that could easily be jazzed up with a metallic skirt or leather-look culottes.
14. Dynamite Wide Brim Straw Hat ($23): Say sayonara to your stockpile of beanies and wooly wide-brim toppers. Enter, the perfect finishing touch to all your new season ensembles: the straw fedora. Whether you’re chillin’ on the beach or just wishing you were, you’ll look for any excuse to bust this one out.
15. Nasty Gal In Bare Form Off-the-Shoulder Lace Top ($48): Shoulder-baring tops are the must-have item this season, and this lacy number is everything. Pop it on top of a frilly blouse and boyfriend jeans right now, then switch it up once the temps start to rise with cutoff shorts or a flirty A-line skirt.
16. Bauble Bar Sunbelt Drops ($34): Hit refresh on a fatigued tee and jeans routine with boho baubles in a brilliant shade of blue. For maximum impact, give bold blue eyeliner and a glitzy mani a try.
17. Silence + Noise Eggshell Vegan Moto Jacket ($149): Style laws might be old fasioned, but there’s still one that rings true — new season, new moto jacket. Toughen up feminine separates in seconds by draping this dreamy number on top.
18. Loft Faraway Floral Drawstring Pants ($70): An exotic floral flourish sends these flowy trousers into anytime-appropriate territory. Denim jackets and ribbed t-shirts feel right on cue for window shopping on the weekend, while classic button-downs and strappy heels are just what the office calls for.
19. Everlane Leather Street Shoe ($135): Pieces that can pull a little double duty are key for a capsule wardrobe, and that applies to your shoes too. Once the work week rolls around, these sleek leather slip-ons offer a crazy comfy (and totally polished) alternative to your standard pair of loafers.
20. Topshop Moto Stripe A-Line Skirt ($55): Stand out (in a good way) this season with a denim skirt that breaks the button-front mold. For a totally unexpected look that packs straight-from-the-runway appeal, layer it over a shirt dress or knee-grazing tunic. Bold bangles and block heeled mules are highly recommended.
21. Kendra Scott Tristan Hinge Station Choker ($120): Despite its minimalist aesthetic, this understated choker will do big things for your on- and off-duty style. Team it with delicate chains or a one-of-a-kind pendant to step up your #details game as the week progresses.
For more style inspo, check out our Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.