How to Pick the Best Blooms for a Spring Wedding
Spring brides, listen up! By now you’ve probably chosen your cake flavor, selected your signature cocktail and you’re ready to say “I do.” But have you thought about what type of blooms you’ll be holding as you take a walk down the aisle? Floral expert Holly Chapple of Holly Heider Chapple Flowers — who has worked on The Knot’s Dream Wedding and has been recognized as a top florist by Martha Stewart Weddings — is here to share with us which spring blooms you should incorporate into the big day if you’re getting hitched this upcoming season. Scroll on for some tips on how to make your wedding bloom-ful and gorgeous.
Tell us more about Holly Heider Chapple Flowers. How did you get started?
“I started my home-based wedding and event floral design studio 24 years ago. But I really got my start with my father, who owned a garden center. He introduced me to floral design because he needed me to help with holiday centerpieces and garlands. Creating my own studio allowed me the opportunity to stay at home with my children.
On July 30th 2015, my husband Evan and I purchased a 25-acre farm that we named Hope. Hope Flower Farm is a flower art farm and Bed & Breakfast. Designers and educators from around the world will gather at Hope Flower Farm for educational workshops and art installations. Hope Farm is also available for weddings, special events and photo shoots.”
What’s your number one tip you want to give couples for saving money on wedding flowers?
“If a couple is on a restricted flower budget, I always suggest they choose a monochromatic color scheme and work with as few varieties of flowers as possible. For instance, a ball of all-white hydrangea are considerably less expensive to design than a mix of white hydrangea, white roses, white stock and white orchids.”
What are the best blooms to use for spring wedding bouquets?
“Peonies are by far the most popular of the spring time blooms and I truly love working with them, but I also adore lilac, lily of the valley, tulips, flowering branches and shrubs, ranunculus, poppies, fritillary and hellebore. Below are some of my favorites!”
1. Bright Sunshine Bouquet: This bouquet was created with yellow daffodils and yellow tulips, yellow garden roses, white phalaenopsis orchids, yellow eremurus flowers and ivy. It would be great for a bright and beautiful boho wedding.
2. Whimsical Florals: Holy peony. This bouquet was created with pink tree peony, smoke bush and cinnamon stick fern. Pair it with the all-white wedding trend so the florals really stand out.
3. Sweet Spring Blooms: This one’s for all the pretty-in-pink brides out there. The design was created with white and blush peony, heuchera leaves and geum flowers.
4. Secret Garden Bouquet: If you are looking for a more non-traditional bouquet, this is the one for you. The floral design was created with poppies, kangaroo paws, tulip poplar leaves, geum flowers, honeysuckle vine and Peruvian daffodils. It would look great for any backyard ceremony or mountaintop nuptials.
5. Fairy Tale Dust Florals: Hello, gorgeous! This bouquet was created with pink peonies, snapdragons, weigela and caladium leaves. The cascading flowers and greenery are what wedding dreams are made of.
Are you ready to decide which flowers to use for your upcoming nuptials? Tweet us @Britandco and tell us what you’ve chosen!
(Photos via Holly Heider Chapple Flowers)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)