This Simple Decor Trick Will Take Your Summer Party to New Levels
To us, the summer season means cooking tasty meals with our favorite in-season veggies and spending the longer days with friends and family. Throwing a backyard dinner party is the perfect way to do both. And while the menu may be the most important aspect of planning a summer soiree, the decor deserves just as much attention. Whether you’re planning an intimate affair or a dinner for 20, these 14 gorgeous table settings will be the only inspiration you need. P.S. Don’t forget to check out the B+C shop for all the supplies you need to make entertaining a breeze this summer.
1. Intimate Florals: With a larger dinner party, you can make a big impact with bold decor. But when you’re entertaining for a smaller crowd, too much decoration can be a bit overwhelming. For an intimate get-together, a colorful floral centerpiece is all the decor you’ll need. (via 100 Layer Cake)
2. Fresh Fruit: Even if they’re available year-round, getting to eat our favorite fruits and veggies at their peak is one of the best things about summer. Summertime is the season for berries, tomatoes, apricots and peaches, and while they’ll taste great in any recipe, they’ll look even better as a table runner. (via The Jungalow)
3. Gingham Print: You can choose a theme for your backyard party, but sticking to just one color could prove to be easier to execute. Just mix prints like a yellow gingham table runner and yellow apple-print napkins and voila! Your table will instantly have a fun, playful vibe. (via Chris Cooney)
4. Vintage Bottles: A large floral centerpiece may work on a small table, but when you have a long picnic-stye table, smaller bouquets housed in vintage brown glass bottles will ensure that all your guests get to enjoy the fragrant blooms. (via Brian Evans Photography)
5. Peach Place Card: Place cards are a great way to make your dinner feel more personalized and more organized when it comes to seating a big party. So skip the boring metal placecard holders and use a fresh peach instead. It will play double-duty by telling your guests where to sit and serving as a quick dessert. (via Justin DeMutiis Photography)
6. Simple Rustic: An outdoor dinner party is the perfect opportunity to use a rustic theme. Keep it simple with a natural color scheme, greenery and just the sunset as decoration. (via Ann Street Studio)
9. Candlelight: Candlelight shouldn’t just be relegated to romantic dinners indoors. Arranging various sizes of candles on your dinner table creates an intimate space perfect for those late-night conversations. (via Divine Day Photography)
10. Floral Table Runner: Traditional table runners in different colors and fun prints are fine, but who wants to have a table that’s just fine? A table runner made of flowers will take your setting from blah to gorgeous. (via Scarlett O’Neill)
12. Pineapple Vase: After you use the edible parts of the pineapple for a tasty dish, rethink throwing away the outside rind and repurpose it into a vase for your table’s centerpiece. (via Sugar and Cloth)
13. Summer Sunset: Nothing is better inspiration for decorating than the colors of a summer sunset. Rich plums and magenta tones will look great in the floral arrangements, on the table runner and even on the menus. (via Paula Bartosiewicz Photography)
14. Mason Jar Florals: Mason jars have quickly become one of our favorite versatile party supplies. You can serve drinks in them, use them as dessert dishes or just to hold bouquets of wildflowers. (via My Wedding Reception Ideas)
Do you have any foolproof summer party tips we didn’t list? Share them in the comments below!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.