20 Chic Summer Wardrobe Swaps to Make Now
Every girl has an arsenal of summer style essentials she turns to time and time again for an on-point outfit that comes together in a matter of seconds. They just work. But if you’re looking for an easy way to give your wardrobe a right-now edge, swapping out a few tried-and-true favorites for their 2016 equivalents is a good place to start. From effortless sandals to lightened-up outerwear and runway-approved necklines, putting the old adage “out with the old and in with the new” into play will have your closet feeling ready to take on the new season in style. And the best part of it all? By doing the ol’ switcheroo, you won’t run the risk of leaving gaps in your wardrobe (the bane of every girl’s existence) — you’ll just be creating even more styling opportunities for your most-loved duds. Keep scrolling for 20 soon-to-be hero pieces that breathe new life into your closet like that.
1. C/meo Collective Stay Cool Shorts ($150): Don’t get us wrong — we love us some denim, but a girl’s gotta have options, right? Step up your festival lineup or weekend uniform by subbing these zip-front stunners in for your everyday distressed denim shorts. Team ‘em with a vintage tee, statement earrings and a pair of pointed-toe babouche flats for a laid-back look any It girl would swoon over.
2. Boohoo Ruffle Co-Ord Set ($42): When you’ve exhausted your arsenal of laid-back jumpsuits and one-and-done rompers — both essential components to any lazy-girl wardrobe — take coords for a test drive. This flirty two-piece number is just as effortless, with plenty of added versatility to boot. For an easy date-night look that will put your LBD to shame, bust it out with flatform Oxfords, a topknot and bright red pout.
3. Zara Crossover Suede Sandals ($70): If you thought it couldn’t get any better than a pair of chic suede mules (styled alongside a culotte jumpsuit and asymmetric earrings, of course), brace yourself. The crossover sandal is upping the ante on the minimalist stepper, proving that making a statement doesn’t have to mean putting on the glitz.
4. BaubleBar Opus Drops ($32): Tired of the choker trend? (Is that even possible?) It’s time to hop aboard the asymmetric earring train. Make it your signature move this season to make everything from closet basics to graphic dresses feel runway ready.
5. Kimchi Blue Off-the-Shoulder Ruffle Midi Dress ($69): Step away from the LBD. Summer is the perfect time to embrace bright color and bold prints, so why limit yourself to snoozy neutral hues? This swingy floral dress is begging to make an appearance at every wedding, garden party or fancy dinner date you have on your agenda this season. Pair it with strappy sandals, a fuss-free updo and a classy box clutch.
6. Subtle Luxury Asami Kimono ($98): Blazers are the picture of polish, but when temps are sizzling, they’re totally off the table. Keep the sartorial authorities (i.e. HR) at bay by popping this breezy kimono over tailored trousers and a basic tank, or cinch it with a statement belt around a simple midi dress and metallic heels for a winning on-the-job ensemble.
7. Dolce Vita Javier Suede Slides ($70): Nothing says summertime style goddess quite like a pair of gladiators. The only problem? All those buckles, straps and laces are just too much for your throw-on-and-go approach to dressing. Slides, on the other hand, are right up your alley, especially when there’s sunny yellow suede involved. Slip them on with a kimono-sleeve romper and an embroidered straw clutch for a casual coffee date (you’ll take the cold brew, thanks) or a night of gallery-hopping.
8. Pixi Market Blue and Red Ruffled Off-the-Shoulder Crop Top ($56): Festival dressing isn’t all about crochet dresses and cutoffs. This ruffled tank was practically made for groovin’ to the beat, with its flouncy layers and shoulder-baring silhouette. Wear it solo with cropped jeans and lace-up wedges, or partner it with a high-waisted A-line skirt, cat eye sunglasses and suede clogs for a flirty look with rad retro appeal.
9. & Other Stories Wide-Leg Viscose Culottes ($60): Demystifying the whole wearing-shorts-to-work thing just got a whole lot easier thanks to these sophisticated Bermudas. Sporty elegance is a given when you style them alongside a poplin top (collar popped), leather slides and a streamlined backpack.
10. Mango Straw Bag ($80): Channel your inner Parisian with a basket tote that has plenty of room for everything you need for impromptu picnics and sunny stints at the beach. Come Monday, it doubles as a carryall for your office essentials and makes the transition from desk to drinks totally seamless.
11. Reformation Palmer Top ($48): What’s better than a classic? Not much, but this retro rib knit certainly makes an argument for quarantining that plain white tee to your closet from now until, well, forever. Tucked into button-front skirts or layered under shortalls, it’s the foundation for endless Insta-worthy #OOTDs.
12. Laser Kitten Punky’s Boombox Pin ($12): Throwing it back to the ‘90s doesn’t have to mean rockin’ a choker or bandana on the regular — both can feel a bit stuffy when temps are on the rise. For a dose of grunge-era chic, deck out duds in a handful of playful pins that add a pop of color and personality to everyday essentials and statement pieces alike.
13. ASOS Maryland Loafers ($36): Sorry, lace-up ghillies — summer is shaping up to be all about the loafer. A fave of It girls and bloggers everywhere, they’re a shoo-in for your work-week repertoire, putting a cool-girl-gone-corporate twist on everything from floral frocks to accordion-pleat skirts. When you’re not crunching numbers or slaying that to-do list, pair them with your weekend uniform of off-the-shoulder tops and jacquard high-waisted shorts for extra style cred.
14. Silence + Noise Sporty Mesh Bomber Jacket ($89): Your denim jacket has done you well, but it’s time to flip the script on your outerwear game with an edgy bomber with major ‘tude. This mesh one will go with both just-acquired pieces and tried-and-true staples, making it a hero piece in disguise when you’re in need of an extra layer — like for rooftop drinks or late-night strolls along the beach.
15. &W STUDIO Fringe Accent Denim Pants ($58): Boyfriend, mom and flared jeans don’t have anything on the latest style to pop up on the scene — cropped denim. Try a fringe-flecked style or wide-leg silhouette for a fashion-forward look worthy of all your off-duty adventures. Take it there by styling them alongside sleeveless blazers, embellished loafers and a structured bag for a killer boy-meets-girl getup.
16. Zara Patch Mini Dress ($40): The ‘70s trend is still going strong, but there’s a wave of ‘80s and ‘90s fever sweeping the fashion scene ATM that we can’t seem to get enough of. So much so that we’re ready to trade out our favorite button-front dresses and skirts for a slew of patched-up pieces with non-stop personality. Slip into this shift dress with no-nonsense Birks and a bucket hat for lazy afternoons curled up in the hammock, or go all-out with flatform sandals and a T. Swift-approved choker for brunch and Bloody Marys.
17. Mango Metallic Skirt ($60): Whether you’re headed to a festival or bar hopping with your besties, this metallic show-stopper can do no wrong. Up the glam factor with a silk cami, glitzy ear cuff and a vintage lucite clutch for an after hours-approved ensemble that’s guaranteed to turn heads.
18. Rebecca Minkoff Studded Kilty Moccasin ($98): Nothing says summer quite like a fresh pair of white sneakers — until now, that is. These luxe leather moccasins are just as comfy as your go-to trainers, but with major cool-factor built right in, thanks to the likes of studded embellishments and funky fringe. Just toss on a mock neck tank and zip-front shorts and you’re golden.
19. Pixie Market Denim Chambray Tie Side Top ($42): You’ve been living in cold-shoulder tops since spring, so this summer, why not take it up a notch with off-the-shoulder blouses with elevated embellishments like dramatic bows or architectural silhouettes? Bring one of this season’s biggest runway trends to life with printed wide-leg trousers, platform wedges and a crocheted bag for an afternoon of errand running or a leisurely lunch on the patio.
20. ASOS Color Block Satin Pajama Blouse ($55): Usher in those carefree days of summer with a trend-right pajama top that keeps it real both on and off duty. Team it with pleated culottes and block heels for Monday morning meetings, or dress it down with white boyfriend jeans, minimalist slides and don’t-care hair for a Saturday night gig at your fave local haunt.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.