If you pay attention to the yearly food trends, you probably know that tamale recipes are set to blow up in 2017. Figuratively, not literally, of course. Since you’ve been on the Taco Tuesday train for quite some time, perhaps it’s time to give them a break and swap the tortillas for tamales. Below you’ll find 17 easy recipes from casseroles and pies to real-deal authentic tamales that’ll spice up your weekday. There’s even a chocolatey dessert option for when you’re not making cayenne churros.
1. BBQ Tamale Pie: If the prospect of working with corn husks intimidates you, a tamale pie is a great starting point. Fill with pre-made BBQ and frozen veggies to make the whole process even easier. (via Apple of My Eye)
2. Chipotle Chicken Tamales: The first key to making great tamales is a perfect masa dough. Since most tamale recipes yield a ton, you can freeze leftovers for up to four months. (via Love Bakes Good Cakes)
3. Roasted Poblano and Cheese Tamales: The simple two-ingredient filling in these tamales is enough to make your tastebuds sing. To add more flavor and moisture to the finished product, top with Mexican crema and salsa verde. (via Love and Olive Oil)
5. Mushroom and Goat Cheese Tamales With Mole Verde: You may feel an obligation to stay true to traditional tamale fillings, but don’t be afraid to let your imagination run wild. This mushroom and goat cheese filling is a tasty vegetarian option that you may not have thought to try. (via The Kitchn)
8. Potato Adobo Vegan Tamale: If you need to make your tamales vegan, be sure to swap vegetable shortening for lard in the dough. Then, stuff them with something hearty like potatoes and peas to make them extra filling. (via Healthy Slow Cooking)
9. Chipotle Pumpkin Tamales With Tomatillo Avocado Sauce: Try these chipotle pumpkin tamales for a dinner party and prepare to stun your guests. (via The Modern Proper)
12. Shrimp and Corn Tamales With Miso Butter: If you love shrimp and grits, you’ll definitely dig these shrimp tamales. Pair with salty miso butter and a handful of cilantro for an interesting fusion take on the classic Mesoamerican dish. (via Hapa Nom Nom)
13. Chicken Tamale Casserole: Make-ahead dinner casseroles are great for freezing and breaking out when you need them. This one is a cheesy protein-filled meal the whole family will love. (via Buns in My Oven)
14. Whole Wheat Honey-Jalapeño Cornbread Chicken Tamale Pie: It’s shocking how much flavor can be squeezed into one cast-iron skillet. To bump up the nutritional factor of this tamale pie, mix whole wheat flour with the cornmeal and add tons of veggies. (via Ambitious Kitchen)
15. Tomato-Free Tamale Pie: As nightshade allergies are growing more and more common, tomato-free versions of classic tomato-based dishes are very valuable. If that’s an issue for you (or you just don’t like tomatoes), this tamale pie ticks all of the right boxes. (via Natural Comfort Kitchen)
16. Jalapeño Pesto Potato Tamales: If you appreciate a spicy kick, the jalapeño pesto inside these vegan tamales will knock your socks off. Beef them up with planks of potato and serve with extra pesto and a mojito or two. (via Serge the Concierge)
17. Chocolate Brownie Tamales: We couldn’t let you leave without dessert. When they’re finished, these chocolatey tamales have a fudgy texture that only the *best* brownies can claim. (via Terry Hope Romero)
Follow us on Pinterest for more delicious weeknight recipe ideas.