12 Tomboy Style Essentials That Slay
Menswear-inspired style has become a fashion must-have over the last few years, with players at every end of the spectrum hopping aboard the borrowed-from-the-boys bandwagon. Your favorite shops — Zara, H&M, Mango, and Topshop — are filled to the brim with mensy essentials including high-waisted trousers, distressed relaxed-fit denim, oversized blazers, and luxe loafers that were actually tailor-made for a woman’s body (a big deal). And bloggers and Instababes have found groundbreaking ways to style the masculine duds alongside flirty, feminine pieces to create outfits that exude boy-meets-girl flair. Below, we’ve pulled 12 must-have pieces to pull off the look in 2017.
1. Mango Stripe-Pattern Shirt ($60): A solid button-down is an androgynous staple that looks just as good with classic-fit denim as it does with a flirty suede skirt. For a killer look fit for the office, pop it on with track pants, sculptural pumps, and an oversized blazer.
2. Zara Double Breasted Jacket ($129): A sleek blazer is an essential for a lady in charge like yourself, but an oversized silhouette lends a Working Girl edge to the wardrobe staple. Balance out the flirty, feminine feel of a ruffle-trimmed midi dress or an elegant slip by tossing it on before heading out the door, or tack it onto your weekend tee-jeans-and sneakers uniform for a polished vibe.
3. & Other Stories Scratch Strap Leather Sneaker ($125): You can’t go wrong with a pair of fresh white kicks, and these strappy leather steppers are no exception. Our favorite way to wear ’em? Styled alongside a floral maxi, cropped jeans, and a bomber jacket for a leisurely lunch date with friends.
4. adidas Originals Tech Steel Hoodie Sweatshirt ($70): Hoodies have been cropping up everywhere as of late, spotted on the Insta feeds of some of the most stylish women around. Whether you layer it over a swishy skirt or half-tuck it into a pair of patent pants, an athleisure cool effect is 100 percent guaranteed.
5. Topshop Ruffle Check Mensy Trousers ($80): While a pair of vintage Levi’s is a no-brainer for your tomboy-inspired wardrobe, you need a pair of tailored pants for occasions that require a bit more refinement — like Monday morning’s boardroom meeting. Adopt this tweed set as your official on-the-job sartorial companion, dressing them up with a sharp button-down, block heel mules, and a go-get-’em ‘tude.
6. Komono Winston Mirror in Gold/Navy ($100): A classic timepiece isn’t only functional, it adds to the whole mystique when you opt for an oversized men’s style. Keep it simple with a traditional leather watch band and gold face for an understated-yet-statement-making look.
7. Mango Front-Pocket Backpack ($50): As far as carryalls go, backpacks are pretty low-key. Load ’em up with all the essentials, swing ’em over your shoulder and you’re good to go. This style is chic enough to take along to the office with its leather-look material and bold gold detailing, but cool enough to hang off-duty too.
8. Daisy Street Oversized Boyfriend Cardigan ($35): Cozy separates like this grandma (or should we say, grandpa) chic sweater are just the thing to lend dressed-up duds a casually cool feel. Amirite?
9. Free People Billie Jean Faux Suede Lieutenant Hat ($38): If there’s anything we’ve learned from Bella Hadid, it’s that a lieutenant hat is tops as far as headwear goes. Rock it with a snuggly sweater, a car coat, and ankle boots for a cozy It girl-approved look.
10. Le Coq Sportif Boyfriend T-Shirt With Tricolores Sleeve ($43): Wherever your style loyalties lie, a classic tee is an undisputed closet champion. This bright blue style comes with a side of ’70s tomboy appeal that would feel right on cue with skinny jeans, a suede jacket, and vintage tennis trainers.
11. Zara Double Button Masculine Coat ($129): Once the cold weather starts winding down, hang up your parka and toss on this sharp boyish coat instead. The clean lines and cool gray hue are guaranteed to make even your Sunday not-so-best feel like a million bucks. Of course, it looks pretty fly styled over a power suit too.
12. Shellys London “Boston” Oxford ($89): It’s all in the details. Ballet flats are great and all, but sometimes you just need a pair of kicks with that little bit of extra oomph. These silvery stunners are it. Take them to the office or slip them on with an LBD for sangria and tapas out on the town.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.