14 Closet Essentials for Women Who Love Menswear
Sometimes it’s more fun to shop for your boyfriend/brother/dude friend than it is to shop for yourself. If you get super jealous of the variety of boss button-downs, dope sweatshirts and trendy shoes that only come in men’s sizes, you may be suffering from menswear envy. The struggle is real! Not to worry — we dug deep into some of our fave retailers to find pieces that are brilliantly inspired by menswear but designed and proportioned for us gals. Check out our picks for the best masculine-meets-feminine pieces you’ll want to add to your spring capsule wardrobestat.
1. Topshop Color Block Textured Sweatshirt ($68): While we love an old-school hoodie, nothing gets us cozy quite like a rad sweatshirt. This color-block catch would look great on your boyfriend, but so much better on you. Scuba gear fierceness on land? Why not?!
2. Urban Outfitters Wooly Color Block Baseball Hat ($29): It doesn’t get much more tomboy chic than this cap. In a black and white tweed that matches any jean-and-tee combo, you’ll be ready for game day every day.
3. Bucketfeet Swallows and Amazons Slip Ons ($68): These kicks will literally put some spring in your step. This floral take on the classic canvas slip-on puts a femme spin on a boyish shoe. These shoes will amp up the most casual of outfits, whether it be a girly skirt or boyfriend jeans.
4. Mango Boyfriend Angie Jeans ($60): This is the reliable unisex denim cut gone punk. Rock them with heels or trainers — they’ll look dope no matter how you style them!
5. Topshop Wolf Print Shirt ($100): Be a one-woman wolf pack while rocking this awesomely graphic button-down. Boyish and badass, this short-sleeve shirt will take you from desk to dinner, no sweat.
6. Madewell Cloud-Dye Tee ($40): The sky’s the limit when it comes to this fashion-forward take on tie dye. Wear it with your favorite boho maxi come festival season, or under a blazer to maximize the menswear feel.
7. ASOS Harem Joggers ($36): Now here are some joggers we’d come running for. Wear them out for a walk around your hood or use ’em as your weekend Netflix-and-chill uniform.
8. Zara Striped Bermuda Shorts ($30): Guys can rock a preppy look, but girls do it better. These striped shorts are country-club ready, and you don’t even need a polo to sport them right. Tennis, anyone?
9. Levi’s Boyfriend Trucker Jacket ($88): Enter the ombre jean jacket of our dreams. Two-toned and totally cool, this boyfriend jacket will be the envy of, well, your boyfriend.
10. Topshop Gingham Cigarette Trousers ($75): Man up with this classic print and slim cut. These trousers are the fiercest dad pants you will ever lay eyes on.
11. American Apparel Amelia Jacket ($88): Who said bomber jackets were just for the boys? This lightweight zip-up is a spring closet essential, and the blush shade adds a girly vibe to an otherwise boyish cut that’s totally bomb.
12. J.Crew Rhodes Blazer ($178): Schoolboy fashion has never been so fierce. This green-and-gold stunner preps up any look, whether it’s skinnies or a mini.
13. ASOS Ankle Grazer Cigarette Pants ($46) and Slim Tailored Jacket ($68): Time to suit up! This traditionally masculine ensemble gets a feminine makeover in a gorgeous shade pf pastel purple, bringing new meaning to the concept of girlboss.
14. American Apparel Poly-Cotton Cropped 3/4 Sleeve Raglan ($22): Tomboys can totally rock a crop top too! This baseball tee is comfiness incarnate, but with a definite edge. Rock it with high-waisted jeans and a summer full of park-lounging.
Check out more of Brit+Co’s style guides by following us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!