The Top 10 Celebrity Style Moments of 2016
A LOT can happen over the course of a year, especially when it comes to double-tap-worthy, OMG-I-can’t-even celebrity style. Between glamorous red carpet premieres, noteworthy magazine covers and constant award show coverage (did she or didn’t she make the best-dressed list according to the fashion police?), it’s safe to say we swooned hard for our fave starlets (Blake! Beyoncé! RiRi!) on more than one occasion. Don’t even get us started about the biggest celeb feuds that had us practically glued to our smartphones for play-by-play updates. What can we say; we’re #shameless. Ahead, we’re sharing our picks for the 10 celebrity style moments that topped 2016 (in no particular order) — which is no easy feat, considering the number of times we found ourselves oohing and aahing at acceptance speech organza gowns and colorful rainbow dresses this past year. We digress.
1. Taylor Goes Rock ‘n’ Roll for Vogue: Nope, we didn’t see it coming either. Taylor looked nearly unrecognizable on Vogue’s May 2016 issue, in which she ditched her goody-two-shoes image for a considerably more gothic-chic makeover. Everything from Tay’s embellished Saint Laurent slip (AKA, not her usual polished co-ord) to her punk-inspired bleach blonde ‘do seemed to be signaling a new era. Love it or hate it, it got err’body talking.
2. Blake Lively at Cannes: No end-of-the-year best-dressed list would be complete without the enchanting blue Atelier Versace gown (THAT thigh-high slit and sweeping train) Blake Lively wore for the red carpet at Cannes. Major swoon. Not only did it oh-so eloquently put her baby bump on display, but it instantly garnered comparisons to Queen Elsa from Disney’s Frozen.
3. Selena Gomez’s Stunning Comeback: No words. We’re still thinking about Selena’s epic comeback at the AMAs, in which she looked ah-maz-ing, BTW. Sure, her emotional speech made us shed a tear (or two), but it was her gorgeous red Prada ball gown, perfect makeup and sleek ponytail that put her officially back on the grid. YAS, girl.
View this post on Instagram
How gorgeous did our girl @LaurenConrad look last night at the @cfda awards?! She's wearing a slip dress and blazer from our second #LCLaurenConrad Runway Collection, which will debut this fall at @Kohls. Simply stunning ❤️ #LCRunway
A post shared by LC Lauren Conrad (@lclaurenconrad) on
4. Lauren Conrad Debuts a Punk Rock(ish) Makeover: First Taylor, then Lauren Conrad decided to (temporarily) ditch her California-chic roots for an alternative rocker look at this year’s CFDA Awards. She stunned with a vampy lip, a slinky rose-colored slip and a tuxedo-inspired blazer (both tapped from her LC Lauren Conrad Runway Collection for Kohl’s).
5. Tommy x Gigi: Not only did Gigi singlehandedly put Tommy Hilfiger back on the radar (she is the brand’s global ambassador, after all), but she straight-up slayed on the catwalk. Sporting looks from her debut capsule collection — everything from a military-inspired band jacket and leather moto pants to an oversized logo sweatshirt dress — she basically solidified her status as America’s favorite It girl.
6. Lady Gaga’s Iconic Tribute to David Bowie: Leave it to Lady Gaga to pay the ultimate tribute to the late David Bowie at the 58th Annual Grammy Awards. And we’re not just talking about her transformative on-stage performance. Using Ziggy Stardust and the “Aladdin Sane” album cover as inspiration, Gaga opted for a custom-designed Marc Jacobs dress and towering red platforms. Don’t even get us started about her flame-orange hair and glittery blue lids.
7. Taylor Swift’s Epic Fourth of July Bash: Yup, Taylor Swift’s annual Fourth of July celebration was infinitely cooler than yours. As per tradition, she rounded up her fave #girlsquad (a preggo Blake Lively included) for a star-studded weekend in Rhode Island. The tip of the iceberg? Tay, Gigi and Cara all sported matching red, white and blue Solid and Striped swimsuits for a slew of Insta-worthy snapshots. Sign us up, please.
8. Claire Dane’s Glow-in-the-Dark Met Gala Gown: Glistening glow-in-the-dark dresses DO exist. And for the Met’s annual costume gala, we would expect nothing less than this showstopping “starry night” inspired creation designed by Zac Posen. Not only did Claire Danes look like Cinderella, but the fact that her gown freaking glowed in the dark left us speechless. Seriously, you’ve got to see this bad boy in motion to see its full effect.
View this post on Instagram
On the eve of her departure from the @WhiteHouse, First Lady @MichelleObama, our December cover star, has never been a more inspiring figure. Click the link in our bio to read the full cover story and get your copy now on @amazon. Photographed by #AnnieLeibovitz, styled by @tonnegood.
A post shared by Vogue (@voguemagazine) on
9. Michelle Obama Lands Her Third Vogue Cover: How fitting that our current First Lady was able to land the December cover of Vogue (her third one!) before leaving the Oval Office in January. Photographed by celebrity photog Annie Leibovitz, a glowing Michelle Obama stuns in a cream-colored dress by Carolina Herrera. Her relaxed pose and natural makeup speak volumes.
10. Solange… Just Solange: Literally anything that Bey’s younger sis pulled out in 2016 was a complete sartorial game-changer. Who could choose just one look? She is… everything.
What’s your favorite celebrity style moment from 2016? Follow us on Pinterest for more celebrity style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.