Whether it’s time to reorganize your bathroom or you’re searching for new storage space for your home office, IKEA hacks are here to save the day. Seriously, what’s better than pieces of furniture and accessories that don’t break the bank? From statement lights to boho rattan chairs that will give your living space that extra trendy touch, IKEA DIYs help you achieve the home of your design-junkie dreams. So today say hello to a new, chicer way of living, with the coolest IKEA hack that will re-organize your space in no time. Ready to make a basket from a $4 rug? Then scroll on down the post!
Materials and Tools:
1. Cut out the tassels on either sides of the rug.
2. Cut the rug length-ways using one of the stripes as a guideline.
3. Fold the rug in half and be sure that the right sides are facing each other.
4. Cut along the fold up until the third pink stripe.
5. Spot the center of the rug and cut again, as shown below.
6. Use the glue gun to glue the two edges together and wait until they’re dry.
7. Cut an “l shape,” as shown in the picture below.
8. Turn it right-side-out and fold the flaps at the bottom. Use hot glue to glue the first two flaps together.
9. Glue the last two flaps in place and let the basket completely cool.
10. Finally, turn the basket and fold the upper edge.
First, cut out the tassels on either sides of the rug. Then use the scissors to cut the rug length-ways, using one of the stripes as a guideline. Next, fold the rug in half and cut along the fold, up until the third colored line, as shown above.
With the rug folded in half, spot the center and cut again a couple of inches, as shown above. Then use the glue gun to glue the two right edges together and wait until they’re dry. At this point, cut an “l shape” as shown in the picture, and then turn the basket right-side-out. Fold the flaps at the bottom and use the glue gun to glue them together. Once they’re dry, you’re ready to fold the upper edge and use your brand new basket!
We love the idea of using this piece as a catchall near your sofa. You can stash small pillows, blankets, magazines, and more. Even if it’s empty, it doesn’t look out of place.
What’s more? It also doubles as a planter.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.