10 Unconventional Pieces of Jewelry to Rock This Holiday Season
If there’s any time of year made for trying bigger, bolder trends, it’s the holiday season. Because from November 1 through December 31 — and then until the clock strikes midnight — anything glittering, gilded and gem toned goes. And so like clockwork, larger than life jewelry has landed on the virtual shelves of our favorite e-tailers, and this year’s crop is majorly out-blinging your standard statement pieces. Bangles are replaced by sprawling hand chains, drops traded up for ear cuffs, and in place of your go-to pendant, there’s everything from delicate lariats and body harnesses to ’90s prom queen chokers, and we mean that in the best way possible. Scroll through these 10 new ways to accessorize your holiday party look with standout pieces no one will expect to see.
1. ASOS Pack of 2 Fine Arm Cuffs ($10): Just because you’re wearing a strapless dress doesn’t mean your arms deserve to go to the holiday ball bare. Our favorite one-two punch is a faux fur jacket over your upper arm candy — talk about a big entrance, and an even bigger reveal.
2. Marida Rainfall Lariat Necklace ($68): Delicate lariats are the newest way to add It Girl sparkle to your outfit. It’s also a perfect layering piece — but this holiday, keep it simple with this beaut as your only +1.
3. ASOS Pack of 2 Ankle Cuffs ($29): This is how to turn your standard pumps into party-ready footwear. Roll up your sequined sleeves and break out your jewelry making kit to DIY even more drama by adding extra draping chain.
4. Forever21 Rhinestone Filigree Knuckle Ring ($6): You wear your thin midi rings every day, so for an extra special occasion, upgrade your knucks with rhinestone-studded armor. With finger bling this major, keep your mani minimal — stray from the season’s glitter polishes and metallics. Maybe this is finally the time to try negative space nail art?
5. Topshop Premium Cube Collar ($150): We tooooold you that you’d be tossing on high-necked everything this season, from mock-neck maxi dresses to sleek chokers, and this is the way to continue the trend through holiday party season. Whether you wear it in tandem with that turtleneck swing dress or style it as a next-level collar is up to you — you’ll look fab either way.
6. NastyGal Urbanite Chainmail Necklace ($35): If there was ever incentive for you to go for that dress with the plunging neckline, it’s this chainmail necklace, or as we like to call it, the glitziest collar + tie combo we’ve ever seen. Wear it with messy waves for an ultra steamy #iwokeuplikethis look.
7. Forever21 Layered Body Chain ($15): This paper-thin body chain strikes the perfect balance between show-stopper and subtle pick-me-up. Wear it to punch up your gem-colored cocktail dress or be daring and clasp it on over a crushed velvet stunner to catch the light (and enviable glances) from every angle.
8. NastyGal Hot and Gold Chain Hand Piece ($20): If you want all eyes on your manicure, then a hand piece is your new P.I.C. The slinky accessory draws attention to your paws like no other, whether you’re carrying your party-perfect clutch or raising your glass to toast the holiday cheer.
9. Baublebar Narnia Ear Crawlers ($28): Ear cuffs may seem a little edgy for some tastes, but if you’re not immediately sold on the trend, think of them this way: they’re everything you LOVE about drops — bold, glitzy and always eye-catching — without the heaviness and potential tress tangling. This pair is a perfect standby that you can without a doubt rock through the new year with a power pony or side swept ‘do.
10. ASOS Curve Multirow Moon and Star Body Harness ($23): Dainty body harnesses were practically *made* for punching up LBDs — seriously, just look at how effortlessly it glams up this number. When the holiday party is over, wear it again over your go-to white button down and boyfriend jeans. Soon enough, it will be the accessory you can’t believe you lived without.
What was are you turning the glam up to 11 this holiday? Tell us in the comments below.