18 Ways to Upcycle Books
We hate to be trite, but please excuse us for a moment so we can prove a point. One woman’s trash is another woman’s treasure. We’re talking textbooks, Russian novels that you couldn’t get through, and literary wonders that just don’t fit in your pint-sized apartment anymore. If you’re about to put them in the recycling bin, hold up. We’ve found 18 ways to deal with your pulp affliction: Upcycle your books! Ready for ’em? Let’s get it tome!
1. Pins ($16): We’re sort of obsessed with the maker of these pretty pins, earrings, and necklaces. Firstly, because Laura Bruland of Yes & Yes Designs came up with this genius concept. Secondly, because she rocked a Kickstarter campaign and now has a laser cutter in her home. Totally jeal.
3. Book Mobile ($78): Sorry baby. But this mobile isn’t for you. This is a very artful one reserved for adults only.
4. Picture Frame ($30): Take note. Reader’s Digest Condensed Books are kind of throwaways… except! They have the sweetest cover art on the planet. Here is one that’s been turned into a very eye-catching frame.
5. Bouquet: Wedding bouquets are crazy expensive. So why not put in some (wo)man hours and make your own with pages of old books and magazines. These particular stems were made out of an Anthropologie’s catalogue, but you could easy use your favorite love story. (via Chelsey Paul Photography)
10. Secret Box: If you have kids (and even if you don’t), it’s hard to keep a clutter free house. We love this way of hiding away the mess by turning a bookshelf into a secret storage unit. (via Bright Nest)
11. Employee of the Month ($7): Does anyone use a tangible dictionary anymore? (If so, you do know about dictionary.com, right?) We’re totally crushing on this Seattle-based graphic designer’s reuse methods.
14. Become a Sculptor: Nicholas Jones cuts, folds, carves, sews, and tears books into beautiful sculptures. The one shown here is one of our favorites, but you really have to check out his website to get the full effect of everything he’s capable of. It truly is astonishing. (via Nicholas Jones)
15. Bird’s the Word ($240): Here’s another artist you can put in your biblio-file. Keri Muller is busy hitting the books down in Cape Town, and we think this particular creation is especially fly.
Are you the author of another bookish DIY? Pen us a page in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)