15 Winter Outdoor Date Ideas to Cure Your Cabin Fever
Picture it: It’s a few weeks from now, the magic of the first big snowfall is starting to wear off and you’re catching some serious cabin fever. You and your other half want to get out and do something, but going to yet another movie or wandering aimlessly around the mall isn’t going to cut it. You want to breathe in some fresh air, feel the wind on your cheeks and maybe even jump in the snow. The only problem is you’re blanking on how to do it. That’s where we come in. Scroll on for awesome outdoor date night ideas that’ll see you right through ‘til your first spring date.
1. Build a snowfort. Remember how cozy a snow fort used to feel when you were little? You’d spend hours building it, then even more hours reveling in your new little haven. Who says you can’t recreate that feeling when you’re an adult? Dig out your snowsuits and build your version of an igloo — you could even have a cozy hot chocolate date in the fort once construction wraps!
2. Go snowshoeing. Snowshoeing is great because it requires relatively little coordination, which makes it a safe bet for a date early on in the relationship. Rent some snowshoes, find a particularly pretty trail and your cabin fever will be instantly cured.
3. Create a city-wide scavenger hunt. These are super fun and a great way spend a whole Saturday when you’ve been cooped up in the office all week! You could either organize one yourself or use one already made up by a service like Stray Boots.
4. Volunteer to walk dogs. Call up your local animal shelter and see if they have any need for volunteer dog walkers/cuddlers. Chances are they do, especially ones who are willing to brave the cold! You’ll get the warm fuzzies from doing something great, plus you’ll get to cuddle some adorable pooches. What’s not to love?
5. Do a winter photoshoot. Winter’s a great time to get out and capture some unexpected memories. Whether you hire a photographer to come along or you DIY it, you’ll be able to get outside and explore for a few hours, and have some beautiful keepsakes to boot!
6. Be a tourist in your own city. Grab a coffee or hot chocolate, map out a route and hit all the spots you’ve been talking about visiting for years. Bonus: Winter is a good time to beat crowds of tourists that hit some cities in the summer!
7. Take a nighttime walk. There’s something really magical about late-night wintertime walks. Bonus points if it’s gently snowing, but you can still see some stars.
8. Take a skiing or snowboarding lesson. Instead of trying to teach yourselves, why not take an hour-long private skiing or snowboarding lesson for the two of you? You’ll get to try something new with the guidance of an actual professional. If it goes well, it could lead to a whole season of hitting the slopes together.
9. Go sledding. Here’s another way to tug at the nostalgic heartstrings. Grab a toboggan from your garage or pick up a couple cheap ones and hit the hills. It’s guaranteed to be a night of laughing ‘til your stomach hurts.
10. Take a Christmas light tour. Every city has the one neighbourhood that’s known to go all out with Christmas lights. Once you find it, take a walk around and marvel!
11. Go winter camping. This one’s only for those with serious cabin fever, but can be a great way to get out into the fresh air for more than just an hour or two. You’ll need all the appropriate gear, of course, but maybe someone you know has some you could borrow — or you can rent it from a local activewear store.
12. Learn hockey. Chances are at least one of you has strapped on some skates and grabbed a hockey stick before. Sometimes the best dates are ones where one of you teaches the other something new. Find an outdoor public rink or a pond or lake that’s safe to skate on and toss the puck around.
13. Find a hot tub. This one’s pretty self-explanatory. Volunteer to housesit for a friend who has a hot tub, take a drive to your nearest hot springs or spring for an affordable hotel. It’ll make for a steamy, unexpected winter date night!
14. Have a snowball fight. This is a guaranteed night of unstoppable laughter. You’ll end the day exhausted in the best possible way, with your cabin fever completely cured and ready to cozy back up on the couch together.
15. Go to a maple syrup farm. This one’s obviously location dependent, but if you have one nearby, take a quick drive out to your local sugarbush. You can spend a couple hours exploring and then head inside for a pancake brunch or some maple candies. YUM!
Got a favorite outdoor winter date? Tweet us at @BritandCo and tell us all about it!
(Photos via Getty)