If you’re reading this, you probably have an IKEA Kallax bookcase. How’d we guess? This mini unit is a classic that’s perfect for storing clothes, DIY kitchen utensils or even your December reading list, so no matter what your original purchase intent, it definitely checks all the organizational and storage boxes and still maintains its chic potential. With a few IKEA hacks, your Kallax bookcase can become a real statement piece that’s perfect for any room.
1. Stylish Console: Dress up the Kallax with IKEA’s coordinating doors and drawers — add legs and some blinging pieces of hardware for a look that’s as elegant as it is modern. (via Fabric Paper Glue)
2. Kitchen Cabinet: Open shelving is the perfect option for displaying those perfectly styled bowls and hip coffee supplies. Paint the inside of the shelves and add doors to hide the stuff you don’t want to show off. (via Refinery 29)
3. Bar Cart: Okay, so you went a little crazy buying super cool bar accessories on black Friday. No worries. Take advantage of the open shelving to show it all off and add wheels to the unit for easy entertaining. (via Sugar and Cloth)
5. Sideboard Hack: Open shelves make the Kallax ideal for keeping your stuff together in an otherwise messy craft room. Use baskets and totes as extra storage for the smaller items. (via Sarah Hearts)
9. Living Room Console: Push two Kallax units together to create a whole wall of storage in the living room or dining room. Adding a couple of doors breaks up the modular look and gives you somewhere to hide things you don’t want on display. (via Lisanne van de Klift)
10. DIY Cushion: Turn the bookshelf into a reading nook by adding a cushion on top. For anyone with messy kids (or S.O., or pets), DIY a cover that’s easily removable and easy to wash. (via Project Lane)
11. Dollhouse DIY: Cut up removable wallpaper to make a house outline and use the unit as a dollhouse. And when the doll days are over, you can hack the Kallax back into a bedside table or media unit. (via Mommo Design)
12. Media Unit: Rather than just plopping a TV on top of a your Kallax shelf, practice your bookcase styling technique in each little cubbie with baskets of magazines, books and records. (via The Everygirl)
How have you hacked the Kallax? Show us your project by tagging us on Instagram + using hashtag #iamcreative!