18 DIY Kitchen Utensil Upgrades
The heart of everyone’s home is the kitchen. You can deck it out with fun plates, cups, appliances and furniture, but what about the accessories? Enter utensils. Everyone’s got a set of wooden spoons in their kitchen, but you might not know what a creative canvas they can be. Take a look at these 18 different ways to stylize your kitchen accessories, and then get to cookin’, good lookin’!
1. Double Dipped Spoons: Don’t just do the dip once… double dip it! Play with pastel colors to adorn each of your bamboo utensils, then add a white stripe to bring them all together. This confirms it: Double dipping is always a good choice. (via Like a Saturday)\
2. Dotted Kitchen Utensils: We love Sincerely, Kinsey’s take on these. Add a cute pattern and complementary colors to a set of cooking tools to give your kitchen a little kick of personality. (via Sincerely, Kinsey)
3. Patterned Serving Spoons: Stripes, chevron and criss-crossing, oh my! By taping patterns onto a set of serving spoons and painting the handles with cheerful colors, these bamboo spoons bring a ton of fun to cooking up something wonderful. (via We See Rainbows)
4. Ombre Wrapped Flatware: Serving utensils shouldn’t have all the fun. Bamboo flatware is fantastic for picnic lunches and BBQs, and adding ombre embroidery floss makes digging in so much more colorful. (via Confetti Pop)
5. Glittered Wooden Spoons: Embrace the sparkle and bring the glitz to your wooden spoons! Coat spoons in glue, then dip in glitter to mix some fierce glam into your kitchen. Cooking has never been so fabulous. (via Something Turquoise)
6. Geo Patterned Kitchen Tools: For a trendy patterned take on painting your kitchen accessories, turn to this tutorial on Free People’s blog. Bring a theme into play by decorating a cutting board as well, and enjoy the cool aesthetic this will bring into all of your food prep. (via Free People Blog)
7. Painted Wooden Utensils: Got some artistic flair? Nous Decor took a more detailed approach to painting kitchen tools and grouped them by using navy and natural wood texture as a color scheme. What a lovely way to cook! (via Nous Decor)
8. Neon Wooden Utensils: If you’re in need of some serious color to interact with your cookery, get some paint and make these neon-dipped utensils! With colors this fun, we can totally see the kiddos getting involved in meal prep, too. (via Sarah Hearts)
9. Ombre Painted Utensils: Ombre is an of- the-moment DIY staple, and this tutorial manages to bring the gradated touch to kitchen tools. Unify mismatched spoons with a common color palette, or bring some quirkiness to a set with a different gradient for each tool. (via Everything Etsy)
10. Washi Tape + Paint Utensils: We love washi tape, and so will your cookery! Enhance utensils with paint, then add washi tape in fun patterns to make meal prep time a little more whimsical. (via Just Us Four)
11. Rainbow Painted Wooden Spoons: Choosing a color or color family can be hard. After all, there are so many great ones to choose from! Embrace the indecision and take on this tutorial to bring all the colors of the wind into your kitchen. (via Little Bit Funky)
12. Wood Burned Kitchen Utensils: If painting isn’t your scene, consider taking on these wood burned utensils! Take note of each tool’s purpose by burning it into the handle, and never confuse your spatula with your serving spoon again. (via Cherished Bliss)
13. Etched Wooden Spoons: Add designs to wooden spoons by etching them in. These have some serious style and would add an effortlessly cool vibe to any kitchen. The herringbone is really a stunner! (via Design Mom)
14. Stamped Wooden Utensils: Got metal stamps? Then you’ve got what you need to make these sweet stamped utensils. The pictured tools were stamped with Thanksgiving in mind, but we could totally see words like savory, sweet, flaky and gooey as a delicious embossed additions to your chef accessories. (via The Idea Room)
17. Jute-Wrapped Utensils: Maybe painting, etching, stamping or wood burning aren’t for you. Or, perhaps you’re just looking for a frugal way to add a little life to your utensils. Try crafting these jute-wrapped kitchen tools for a cute (+ cheap) DIY that’s begging for a spot in any rustic digs. (via Uncommon Designs)
Got your own take on revamping wooden utensils? Share it with us in the comments below.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.