Summer sippers are here, and this tasty concoction is the perfect recipe for a milkshake date — because it’s a Date Shake! Oh, puns ;) It’s a Palm Springs classic that’s a must-try when you’re dreaming of sunny, desert vibes — a totally frosty, sweet treat. Traditionally it’s made with locally grown dates, ice cream and milk, but we lightened up our recipe with coconut milk and frozen bananas so it works as a snack, dessert or breakfast on the go. Give it a whirl this weekend, and sip away as you dream of palm trees, denim cut-offs and sitting by the pool.
Makes 1 large or 2 smaller servings
– a banana
– 4 or 5 dates (preferably Medjool)
– 1 cup of coconut milk (or any alternative milk of your choice)
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/2-1 cup crushed ice
– a pinch of cinnamon and hemp hearts (optional)
1. Split and remove the pits from your dates, then soak them in warm water for 10 minutes to soften. You can also speed up the process by soaking them in boiling water, which should only take a couple minutes to work.
2. Peel and slice the banana into about 1/4 – 1/2-inch-thick pieces, then place them on a parchment-lined plate and put them in the freezer for 20 minutes. You can do this in advance, and it’s a great way to save any bananas you have that are getting extra ripe in the fruit basket.
3. Once your dates are softened and banana is frozen, add them to a blender with the coconut milk, vanilla, crushed ice and cinnamon if you are using. Blend until the shake is smooth and all chunks of banana and date are broken up and well-mixed. If the mixture is too thick you can add a little extra ice and blend again to reach your desired consistency. Then you’re ready to pour into some glasses and sip away!
Remove the pits and soak the dates so that they soften and blend easily.
Slice the banana and freeze the pieces – using frozen banana helps create the thick and creamy consistency without using ice cream.
Add all of the ingredients to the blender and mix until everything is smooth and well combined.
Those dreams of palm trees will feel that much closer when you’re sipping on these tasty Date Shakes!
This is a seriously tasty beverage that just happens to be full of healthy ingredients, so it’s a perfect addition to your breakfast or snacking smoothie routine.
Garnish with a sprinkling of cinnamon and hemp hearts for an extra boost of protein along with all the healthy fats, natural sweeteners and fibre.
How do you like to celebrate the summer music festival season? Share your fave food and fashion pics with us on Instagram using the hashtag #iamcreative!