There were two things glaringly missing from the MTV VMAs red carpet this year: bras and underwear. Whether you think host Miley Cyrus set the sartorial tone for the night or that the stars were just pulling out their sexiest stops for the one awards show where basically anything goes, celebs showed up to the party exposing a ton of skin. Let’s just say, plunging necklines and thigh-high slits don’t really count as “scandalous” anymore — just wait till you see these stars raised the bar with these eight barely-there outfits.
1. Chrissy Teigen: This might be the classiest way to flash pelvage ever. Sheer lace panels give off major boudoir vibes on Chrissy’s Victorian-inspired, high-neck gown that we’d wear as lingerie any day. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
2. Gigi Hadid: Gigi Hadid is making a really good case for turning your swimsuit into a statement outfit for your fanciest fall events (would you dare!?). (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
3. Nicki Minaj: Leave it to Nicki to put a totally glamorous spin on the “naked” dress: we’ve never seen beading look quite so much like a second skin. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
4. Lily Aldridge: Black dresses tend to be boring on the red carpet, but thanks to the gigantic scoop neck and like-a-glove fit on the model’s gown, this number is anything but. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
5. Miley Cyrus: We have to hand it to Miley, the host and singer found the cleverest ways to not wear a shirt all night long. It turns out harnesses are the new pasties. (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
6. Lauren Jauregui: The Fifth Harmony singer looks like she stepped straight out of Taylor Swift’s “Bad Blood” video complete with a buckled paneled skirt and sheer turtleneck. (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty)
7. Rita Ora: So many feathers, so much underboob. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
8. FKA Twigs: Fashion faux pas no more: Thanks to FKA Twigs, it’s totally trendy to flash your underwear on the red carpet. Come on, you’d want to show ’em off if you had glitter briefs too. (Photo via Jason Merritt/Getty)
What were your favorite red carpet looks of the night? Tell us which outfits you love + love to hate from the VMAs in the comments below.