24 DIYs to Make, According to Your Zodiac Sign
As much as you like to think you have control over your own destiny, your zodiac sign can help reveal your specific wants and needs for those exceptionally difficult decisions — like when you’re deciding between engagement rings, trying to select your new signature perfume or figuring out your next DIY project. For creatives who love a good horoscope, this week’s roundup of zodiac-inspired DIYs was made just for you. Whether you value aesthetics over function or a modern approach over a rustic style, you’re sure to find a DIY that suits your sign. Scroll on and take a look at all 24 DIY projects inspired by your astrological sign.
1. DIY Felt Message Board: For Aries who appreciate clean lines, this simple felt message board is a decor must. Throw in a fitting inspirational quote from your favorite girlboss and you’re all set. (via Francois et Moi)
2. DIY 2016 Planner: Organization is key for Aries who stay true to their zodiac’s active and fast-paced lifestyle. Make sure you stay on top of your game with this chic black and white DIY planner. (via Almost Makes Perfect)
3. DIY Cork Board Wall Art: Like their warm-hearted demeanor, Taureans are attracted to a similarly warm color palette. Channel your affinity for earthy tones and rustic chic elements with this Southwestern-themed wall art made of IKEA cork boards. (via Sweet Peas and Saffron)
4. DIY Concrete Bud Vases: As an earth sign, it’s no surprise that Taurus signs are drawn to all things plant-related. Embrace your grounded bull spirit and appreciation for greenery with these sturdy concrete bud vases. (via Burkatron)
5. DIY Glittery Graphic Pencil Cases: Not one to shy from color, Gemini signs love to experiment with bright hues and fun details. With tons of glitter, fringe accents and bold shades, this DIY project seems like it was *made* for the most fun-loving zodiac. (via Studio DIY)
6. DIY Flair Chair: Sociable and charming, Gemini are well-versed when it comes to engaging in emoji-speak. Give your office chair, armchair or pouf a modern eclectic Gemini flair by decking it out with your favorite emoji. (via Studio DIY)
7. DIY Baking Jars: Whether you’re cooking or baking, these handy jars make refined and practical kitchen essentials. If you’re as fond of the kitchen as your zodiac suggests, this set of baking jars is a definite yes. (via Tell Love and Party)
8. DIY Geometric Tasseled Pillows: Give yourself the ultimate gift of comfort, which is one of your Cancer sign’s biggest values. It doesn’t hurt that these cozy geometric tasseled pillows are undeniably stylish. (via Brit + Co)
9. DIY Red Lips Flats: Leos are recognized for their distinctly bold and daring personality, which, unsurprisingly, doesn’t stop short of their style. Spice up any ordinary pair of shoes with flaming red lips to give it that Leo-inspired It-factor. (via Damask Love)
10. DIY Kate Spade Inspired Heart Tote: You’re no stranger to vibrant accessories, so this DIY Kate Spade-inspired heart tote is the one for you. Its striking red color is sure to win a plus in your book. (via Riva La Diva)
11. DIY Notebooks: For the meticulous and organized Virgo, these DIY notebooks are a must-have. They’re super simple to make: Just cover plain notebooks with wrapping paper and self-adhesive letters. (via Burkatron)
12. DIY Cat Sleeping Mask: Virgos who find themselves caught up in their zodiac’s perfectionist tendencies should remember to stop, step back and relax. This adorable cat-inspired sleeping mask will surely help you do just that. (via Alma Camponesa)
13. “Have Courage, My Love” Printable: For Libra-born makers, maintaining peace and harmony is a priority in their lives. Encourage yourself to continuously rise above conflict and chaos with this positive and uplifting message. (via Gold Standard Workshop)
14. DIY Lion Piggy Bank: When it comes to budgeting, Libras know exactly where their money is. Excellent though they may already be with handling money, this elegant lion bank surely won’t hurt. (via The Things She Makes)
15. DIY Totes: Scorpios that are always out and about will love this modern everyday tote. Simply iron the free silhouette onto a plain tote bag and add any embellishments for extra flair — think: pom pom trim, tassel keychain, etc. (via The Pretty Life Girls)
16. DIY Gold Foil Notebooks: For the ever-inquisitive Scorpio, a notebook or two where they can jot down their notes will always come in handy. The cheeky gold foil words are ones they’re sure to appreciate. (via Lovely Indeed)
17. DIY Painted Citrus Slice Keychain: Channel your cheery Sagittarius personality with this bright yellow citrus slice keychain. Hang from your purse, pencil case or backpack for an instant pick-me-up accessory. (via Dream Green DIY)
18. DIY Quote Banner: As someone who tries to always look on the brighter side of things, this optimistic quote banner is one you’ll want to make. Its vibrant pop of color will brighten up your space. (via Fall For DIY)
19. DIY Back to School Desk Organizer: Known as the most determined of the entire zodiac, Capricorns are in it to win it no matter what they do. Set yourself up for success with this pretty and practical desk organizer. (via Lovely Indeed)
20. DIY Alphabet Makeup Bag: For Capricorns who love their makeup, this alphabet makeup bag will help keep their goodies in order. Try the technique on canvas pencil cases or totes, so you can personalize every aspect of your life. (via Burkatron)
21. DIY IKEA Hack Grid Moodboard: Recognized for their ultra-modern and minimalist style, Aquarius signs are all about monochromatic hues with pops of blue and metallic shades. Avoid your zodiac’s pet peeve for desktop clutter with this simple grid moodboard. (via The Beauty Dojo)
23. DIY Ice Dye Pillows: Pisces’ intrinsic love of water makes them fond of all things oceanic. Cater to your love of the deep blue with these gorgeous dyed pillows that embody your favorite place in the world. (via Dans le Lakehouse)
24. DIY Ombre Votive Candles: Stylish Pisces have an eye for items they know will upgrade their space. Take this beautiful ombre candle — it’ll both spruce up your home while adding to its cozy factor. (via Lines Across)
Which of these zodiac-inspired DIYs will you make? Check us out on Pinterest for more creative ideas and inspo!
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)