5 Unnecessary Items Weighing Down Your Suitcase
Most of us are self-identified over-packers, because who’s to say we won’t need our adorable all-weather boots on our beach trip to the Bahamas?! But the truth of the matter is that sometimes no number of handy-dandy, space-saving gadgets and no amount of meticulous clothing rolling will create enough space in our suitcases for all the crap we want to bring. Luckily, when it comes down to it, some of our usual vacay vitals aren’t actually as essential as they seem. Here are the items to leave at home before hopping on the plane.
1. Technology: Try to bring your cell, and your cell alone. There’s a reason they’re called smart phones — they can do pretty much anything. Download the Kindle app on your phone. Upload your important files to Google Drive. Log into all of your accounts on mobile. Without your laptop, Kindle, or tablet, you’ll spare yourself space and, most likely, some stress.
2. Heels and Other Impractical Shoes: Those booties aren’t made for walking. No traveler, regardless of their destination, should have to bring more than three pairs of shoes with them: a comfortable pair (whether those be hiking boots or Converse), a casual pair (think sandals or boots, depending on the season), and, if absolutely necessary, a dressy pair.
3. Food: Isn’t the best part of traveling getting to enjoy the local fare? Aside from a small snack to sustain you while traveling, everything else should stay in your pantry. Buying basics, such as bread, milk, and fruit, upon arriving so you don’t have to dine out for every meal is a good way to save space beforehand and money after the fact.
4. Toiletries: Beauty gurus and skincare savants, we’re looking at you. Although some makeup items, such as mascara, foundation, and neutral eye shadows, are must-haves for many, consider leaving the various blushes, brushes, and out-there shades of lipstick at home. Pro tip: Bring any samples of beauty products you have lying around — they’re both compact and fun to experiment with!
5. Point-and-Shoot Camera: The advent of Instagram has us feeling like there’s a bit of Annie Leibovitz in all of us, but unless you’re a professional photographer, your phone’s camera will do the trick on a trip. DSLR cameras are bulky, heavy, and ultra expensive; your cell phone fits in your pocket and you’ll have to bring it regardless. The choice is clear.
Tweet us your best packing tips @BritandCo!
(Photo via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)