Beyond the first magical snowfall of the season — cue the oohs and aahs as you pretend you’re in a living snow globe — there’s only so much snow, slush and sleet you can take before a case of spring fever begins to set in. Trudging off to work on sheets of black ice and being forced to shovel your car out of a foot of snow (yay) is just the tip of the iceberg. On top of that, you’re left to hunker down in your bulkiest puffer jackets and disguise yourself in cheeky cold weather accessories that would best be reserved for the North Pole. Not to mention that all-weather boots don’t exactly have the most stylish track record to date. Far from it, actually. But that’s where we put our foot down. If not-so-chic Crocs can be made great again on the catwalk — seriously, WTF! — then you best believe ugly-pretty winter boots are on the verge of a major comeback too. Ahead, we’ve uncovered 18 stylish polar vortex-approved stompers that are ready to go frolicking in the snow. You can thank us later.
1. Sorel 1964 Premium CVS Boot ($140): What to wear when heading out for a night on the town with your squad? We thought you’d never ask. Be it the windy city or NYC, stilettos and fishnet tights won’t be cutting it in the dead of winter. Resist the urge to stay in on a stormy Friday night (major snooze) by dressing in layers, starting with your footwear of choice. Insulation and traction reign supreme with this premium boot that can be styled alongside a sequined mini dress for a scene-stealing look. DO reach for your most eclectic pair of tights.
2. Charles & Keith Duo-Texture Knee High Boots ($79): Um, is it too soon to be resurrecting shearling boots (cough, cough, Uggs) a la the ‘90s? Please say no. Team these faux suede knee-high boots with lace-up leggings and a boyfriend-style trench post-workout sesh, or wear them to the boardroom with a mock sweater dress for a getup that’s hopefully HR-approved. Whatever you do, steer clear of stuffing your sweatpants into them, ’cause that’s just lazy.
3. Women’s Sorel for J.Crew Tivoli Boots in Buffalo Check ($130): Holy perfect boot, Batman! You had us at buffalo check. Ugly-pretty is dependent on who you ask, but in our opinion, these all-weather boots are much too chic to be worn when out plowing through the snow. With high-performance leggings, marled wool socks and a seasonal fair isle knit? Now we’re talking.
4. Dr. Martens Ice King Softy 939 ($155): Your lace-up Docs from the ‘90s just received a major upgrade. Modeled after the Ice King himself, these animated combat boots will garner many a compliment (and stares) as you navigate your way through a season of treacherous weather. Plus, they’re slip-resistant, meaning you won’t fall victim to any major wipeouts.
5. Love Moschino Black Quilted Hearts Snow Boots ($244): Moon boots receive a high-fashion twist with these quilted stompers by Love Moschino that will shield you from sub-zero temperatures and inches of slush. Man-repelling in their own right, they look best styled with a faux fur leopard print coat, stirrup leggings and mirrored shades.
6. Rag & Bone Compass Shearling Booties ($695): Tell Santa you’ve been on his “nice” list: These lust-worthy shearling ankle booties aren’t going to pay for themselves. Between the contrast red laces, the peekaboo shearling trim and their all-around rugged appeal, these bad boys are guaranteed to lend their star power to no shortage of seasonal #OOTDs.
7. Women’s Sperry for J.Crew Shearwater Bucket Boots in Colorblock ($180): As if you needed another reason to start adopting winter whites, now you’ve got no excuse. Kick cold weather to the curb once and for all with these heavy-duty stompers in a pretty champagne pebble hue that will be on repeat on downcast days. Consider yourself equipped for it ALL — ice, sleet, snow and even rain.
8. Monki Padded Knee Boot ($68): Like your prized puffer jacket, but in boot form, these black padded knee boots are what you reach for when the Snowpocalypse hits. If your prized puffer is any indication, then you know they’re going to be toasty. Round out your all-black uniform by teaming them with black leggings, a slouchy beanie and a maxi bomber jacket.
9. Zara Split Suede Lace-Up Boots ($159): Surprise, surprise: Zara has come to the rescue once again with a pair of lace-up taupe boots that won’t leave you running for the hills. While these beauties may not measure up against your beloved duck boots on treacherous January days, they are perfect for “mild” winter weather (sunny with a snow shower or two). Inject some seasonal flair into your look by tossing them on with a plaid button-down and a wool mini skirt. Winter schminter, we say!
10. Charles & Keith Textured Moon Boots ($79): When you DGAF about making a faux pas, reach for these outlandish textured moon boots that will cause a scene. (We don’t blame random passersby for snickering — it’s not every day you spot Chewbacca on the prowl.) For that comfy-cozy feeling, proceed to layer up with a suede midi-length skirt, sheer tights and a big ol’ cowl-neck scarf.
11. & Other Stories Leather Snow Boots ($195): Are they sneakers? Are they snow boots? TBH, we really have no idea, but something tells us they’re cold weather-approved. Take on a light dusting of snow like that with these elevated jet black lace-up sneaker boots, complete with a non-slip rubber sole and faux fur lining. They’ll look killer with leather pants, an oversized sweatshirt and an off-duty anorak come the weekend.
12. Jeffrey Campbell Duluth-Sh Crepe Platform Boots With Faux Fur Lining ($225): Post-Snowmageddon, these are the cozy platform boots you should be reaching for without hesitation. For realsies, though. Not only will the faux fur lining protect you against the blustery temps to come, but the platform heel will make you feel like a mountain woman. For maximum impact, some skinny jeans and a fringed knit poncho will have you reaching for the cocoa mix and snuggling up by the fire in no time.
13. Madewell x Sorel 1964 Premium Boots ($160): No surprise here: Madewell makes cold weather dressing look dang good. Whether you’re actually the outdoorsy type who fancies spontaneous adventures or you’re partial to a rugged catalog-perfect look (think: puffer down vests and lumberjack flannel), these Sorel boots featuring a removable wool-and-shearling liner have got you covered for it all.
14. INUIKII Tribal Ankle Boots ($500): You haven’t seen nothing yet! If/when the temps decide to dip below zero, you can consider yourself prepared. These snuggly snow boots featuring an Aztec design were made for trekking out in a blizzard and combating inclement weather like it’s NBD. They’re a well-deserved splurge for babes holding it down in colder climates where bundling-to-the-nines is the norm.
15. Jeffrey Campbell Slush Water Resistant Faux Shearling Lined Boots ($195): Practically off the set of one of Yeezy’s star-studded presentations, these water-resistant shearling-lined boots were made to hit the snow-covered pavement. The athleisure-inspired platform style and slush-hued palette make them a shoo-in for your morning commute or even a GNO, especially with leather joggers and an oversized puffa in the equation.
16. Sorel Out N About Weather Boot ($115): A pair for you and a pair for your boo: We’re obsessed with these rugged-chic red duck boots that will have you low-key matching with your S.O. for an upcoming ski getaway to the mountains. They’re waterproof and ready to withstand the elements in style — round out your look with a waxed field jacket, an Aran knit sweater and a playful pom-pom-topped hat for maximum impact.
17. Hunter Block Heel Stripe Rain Boot ($215): The only thing worse than a fresh blanket of snow (ugh, you just shoveled the driveway) is the icky leftover slush you have to trudge through during your morning commute. Though we don’t recommend puddle-jumping, these olive green rubber boots from Hunter are ready to hold you down if you do. Pro tip: Style ‘em with rolled-up skinnies and a streamlined slicker for an elevated rainy day look.
18. Sorel Conquest & Trade Leather Wedge Boots ($275): “We can’t believe those are by Sorel!” Yeah, neither can we. If you’re wondering what fashion girls wear when it’s cold AF, look no further. These gorgeous hiking boots featuring a concealed heel are just what the doctor ordered for a weekend in the mountains or even errands downtown.
How will you be styling your winter boots? Follow us on Pinterest for more colorful style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.