5 Tips for Making Holiday Shopping Stress-Free With Your S.O.
It’s time to make your list and check it twice! The biggest shopping days of the year are just around the corner, and we want to help you enjoy the process of present-buying as much as possible. What better way to make the experience fun than to make it a couple’s activity? Read on for five simple tips to keep holiday shopping with your S.O. fun instead of frantic.
1. Have a plan of attack. They say that failing to plan is planning to fail — and if we didn’t know better, we’d assume that whoever coined that phrase came up with it after an intense holiday shopping session. Pinpoint the stores running the best deals — especially on Black Friday — and agree on the best way to spend your time. Make a list of the loved ones you’re shopping for, and brainstorm gift ideas as much as possible to cut down on excessive browsing. If you have a clear shopping plan ahead of time, you and your partner will both keep your cool no matter how much holiday chaos you encounter.
2. Allow for plenty of time. That plan we just suggested? Make sure it includes lots of wiggle room for crowds, traffic and other unforeseen delays. If you try to squeeze all the shopping for both of your friends and family into a single weeknight, you’re just asking to make the experience more stressful. Set aside a full weekend or a few evenings throughout December — and don’t wait until a week before Christmas to get started! You’ll enjoy the process a lot more, PLUS you’ll likely have more gifting options to choose from at better prices.
3. Divide and conquer (but only if your phones are charged). Make the most of your time and energy by splitting up the shopping lists — especially during high-traffic days (ahem, Black Friday). If you’ve communicated about your budget and what you need to buy, you can trust your partner to grab a few items for the people on your list. You may even be grateful for a few minutes alone! Just be sure to start the day with a fully charged phone (or bring a charger with you) — your shopping trip won’t end well if you’re wandering through a mall phone-less while your partner tries to track you down.
4. Don’t overdo it. Be realistic about how much joint shopping you and your partner can actually handle. If you hate crowds and long lines but your S.O. loves a deal, maybe they should tackle Black Friday alone — or maybe you can introduce them to the joys of Cyber Monday instead. If you love being in stores during the holiday season but your bae gets fed up with it, respect their limits and consider which gifts are better purchased online. Set yourself up for success by knowing each other’s boundaries before you get started.
5. Make it a date. Gift-buying — especially on major shopping days like Black Friday — can feel like a race, or even worse, a chore. Don’t lose the spirit of the season for you and your sweetie in the rush of playing Santa. Whether you stop for a diner breakfast before hitting the mall or take a seat between stores to sip hot chocolate, you both will be happy to have a break and some good conversation. With a date thrown into the mix, shopping for your loved ones may even become a new favorite holiday tradition.
Do you and your significant other have holiday shopping plans? Tweet us @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)