5 Ways to Make Baby’s Bedtime Easier on Vacation
The planning, the packing, the torturously long line at airport security — you’ve made it through the not-so-epic parts of traveling with a newborn — yay! Now you’re at the hotel, and everyone’s had their fair share of splashing around the pool, but now it’s bedtime. And bonus: It’s on an absolutely huge bed, covered in the fluffiest comforter you’ve ever felt. But, wait! The baby’s crying, and you’re realizing that bedtime in a hotel isn’t as easy for your baby as it is for you. Before giving up on your hopes for rest and relaxation, check out these tips for getting baby to sleep through the night while on vacation.
1. Same Old, Same Old: You’ve got the night-night routine down at home: Scrub in the tub, a book, a song and a steady stream of back pats, and your little one is out. There’s no need to completely change your routine just because you’ve crossed state lines. Stick to your script and make the bedtime routine as close to the at-home version as possible. This may mean bringing your own frog princess hooded towel and toting along bedtime books from home.
2. Lovely Linens: Baby’s sensitive skin perks up when she feels a crib sheet that isn’t the soft, cuddly one she’s used to at home. Even though the difference is almost imperceptible, she knows it, and pretty soon (through her cries) everyone else on your floor will know it. Pack a few crib sheets from home (just in case of middle-of-the-night diaper leaks) to use at the hotel.
3. Chill Out… Or Not: The AC’s on blast, and you’re comfy under a thick down comforter. But for safe sleeping’s sake, your baby isn’t quite as bundled up, and her summer jammies are nothing more than a onesie. When you’re packing, think ahead to every temperature eventuality. Bring along an array of sleepwear options to give you enough choices to keep your baby snuggly, like a long-sleeved sleepsack.
4. Elevator Avoidance: It’s 2am and three tipsy bridesmaids from the wedding downstairs come stumbling off the elevator. While you might sleep through their loud chatter, baby most likely won’t. Pick a room that’s far from the elevator, the stairs or any shared space (such as a gym or an ice machine) to avoid extra noise.
5. Walk It Out: When you’re at home, a quick drive around the block gets baby right to sleep. But now you’re on vacation and don’t have a car (or you have a car, but don’t know the area well enough to drive around). Put baby in a stroller or strap her into a carrier, then walk her around the floor (or do laps in your room) until she starts snoozing.
What’s the number one baby item you need on vacation to help your baby sleep? Share with us on Twitter @BritandCo!
(Photos via Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)