9 Things Every Girl Who Grew Up With Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Will Relate To
It’s no secret that the things you love as a kid tend to stay with you as nostalgic favorites through your life. It’s true of Lisa Frank, it’s true of tons of your favorite beauty products and it’s definitely true of Netflix’s Fuller House series. Even though the Olsen twins weren’t, and likely never will be, part of the reboot, their role as Michelle Tanner in the original was our introduction to the twins, and they’d go on to be part of our lives for decades to come.
1. You were either a Mary-Kate or an Ashley. In their post-Full House lives, where they actually played separate people, Mary-Kate and Ashley fell into their roles as the tomboy and the girly-girl, respectively. While their differences cause their fair share of disagreements, it also taught us to embrace our true selves and accept others as they are. Plus, it totally made it easier for our younger, simpler brains to pick a favorite.
2. Having a twin sister seemed like the coolest thing in the world. Despite their differences, Mary-Kate and Ashley introduced us to the inexplicable ~magic~ of having a twin sister early on. A constant best friend, schemer, clothes-sharer — we wanted what we didn’t have or understand. (Photo via Giphy)
3. But having an annoying older brother was the WORST. The Olsens used their voice and platform for one of time’s worst plagues — the older brother who always picks on his little sisters. They immortalized their plan to sell their older brother Trent for .50 cents in the classic hit “Brother for Sale.” #neverforget
4. When you learned Mary-Kate and Ashley had other IRL siblings, you felt betrayed in a way. We can’t even explain this one, but RIGHT? Was it because of their Full House family? Or the fact that they should exist on a twin island without other family dynamics. It’s like when you run into your teacher at the mall. Something just feels weird about it! Of course, their sister Elizabeth also caught the acting bug and is super famous on her own. (Photo via Jamie McCarthy/Getty)
5. You know every word to this song. Despite a number of musical classics, “I Am The Cute One” might arguably be their most popular. Weird, in hindsight, but huge tune.
6. Two words: Butterfly clips. (Photo via Getty)
7. Two more words: Tube tops. (Photo via Getty)
8. Somehow, against all sparkly, butterfly-clipped, tube-topped odds, they’ve minimalized and streamlined, becoming worldwide style moguls and icons. Their (more specifically, Mary-Kate’s) signature boho-chic look is still evolving after all these years, and we can count on the twins to wear looks we’re barely keeping up on. (Photo via Andrew H. Walker/Getty)
9 . But they’ll always be Michelle Tanner first and foremost. You got it, dude. (Photo via Giphy)
What’s your most memorable Mary-Kate and Ashley moment? Let us know over @BritandCo!
(Featured photo via Pascal Le Segretain/Getty)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)