5 Must-DL Apps This Week: AMA on Demand, Taco Texting + More!
Sigh, remember last weekend when Saturday was only the BEGINNING of a three day weekend? Those were the days. We may not be able to give you three days this time around but it is still our duty to serve up five apps that your phone needs immediately, plus a bonus look at all of the apps we downloaded during the week. There’s a big name site giving your favorite function its own app, something that wants to help you around your ‘hood and another that wants to help you nab all that street style you see there. There’s even taco texting (we’ll explain)! See, it’s not so bad.
1. Ask Me Anything: Even if you’re not a diehard redditor, you know you’ve skimmed an AMA in your day. AMA = Ask Me Anything, a totally candid interview process where celebrities, personalities, innovators and other interesting people you might have a question or two for hop on and let you have at them, answering the Internet’s questions in a thread. This new app totally amplifies the (already insanely cool) experience by notifying you when there’s a new AMA, letting you ask questions in active threads and giving you easy access to past interviews — all in a much more beautifully designed space.
2. Enquire: So you have an app where you can ask your idols anything, cool, but what if you need to ask someone something a little closer to home. Like something literally in your ‘hood? That’s what this app is for. Enquire is a sweet and simple app that lets you ask questions about your neighborhood to the people who might know the answer, your nabes. Ask folks where the best dry cleaner is, if they too, feel like they’re paying way too much in rent (uh, probably). We won’t judge you if you ask where the best brunch place is. Or if you try to find out if your local barista crush is single. There’s even incentive to explore — go out ‘n’ about and unlock new neighborhoods when you visit them. Right now this one’s only available in New York and Paris with other cities to (hopefully) come later.
3. Grabble: Shopping in a real life store is very yesterday, isn’t it? Now it’s really all about the fashion app that lets you swipe right on favorite finds and buy them directly in a tap or two. Grabble does just that, unlocking favorite stores like Topshop, ASOS, Urban Outfitters and more on your phone so you can browse and buy from their latest collections. There’s the swiping right function on favorites and an easy way to set parameters for what you want to browse, but one of our favorite features of this app shares more with Google than Tinder. The search function is stellar, like if you got to walk into a mall and be directed exactly to what stores your particular purchases could be found in.
4. Contact Center: Over the past week this app has been a favorite on my favorite tech sites, so I had to check it out. Contact Center joins the fleet of apps trying to make communication a better experience for all of us. We don’t just plain old text anymore, we group text and we swap GIFs, we WhatsApp with friends across the globe and we send the fam picture updates on a designated email chain. You assemble a custom contact-focused launch pad so you have one place to view your favorite contacts, groups you communicate with regularly and have more specific actions at your fingertips than just the ability to just call, text or email them.
5. Taco Text: We know you’re a little crabby about the lack of days in this weekend compared to last weekend, so I thought I’d wrap up this roundup with a lil’ something to make you smile. Taco Text is not much more than what it sounds like. It’s like Yo for taco emojis — a super simple app for sending tacos (“everyday,” breakfast, fish and mystery varieties) to and fro. There, does that make up for work on Monday?
BONUS: ICYMI EDITION!
What was your favorite app download of the week? Share a recent hit (or an old favorite) below!