The technology obsessed all agree on one thing: Apps make life better. And while GIF making and sorting out your next DIY project are somewhat important, there are some apps that help you make big lifestyle changes, which in turn can lead to a happier, healthier, more-likely-to-sing-in-the-shower-every-morning you. We’ve pinpointed five areas of life that generally need some guidance and the app that is going to have you singing a different tune in that department/shower. Let’s get upgrading.
1. Your Meals: Healthy meals can mean different things to different people. For some, it’s about cutting the sugar, carbs and calorie-rich treats. Others may be be looking for superfoods to help them get the most out of their workout. Whatever your aims, we can all agree there are some taboos we all want to avoid, right? An app like Fooducate (free on iOS and Android) is like having a dietitian in your pocket. It will help you make the best food choices for your needs.
Fooducate automatically scans food barcodes to show you exactly what’s in the food you’re eating. The app highlights the things manufacturers want us to overlook, like excessive sugar, trans fats, corn syrup and MSG. We love that this app educates and encourages you to make healthy food choices.
2. Your Workout: Looking to get in shape but unsure where to start? The good news is you won’t need a gym membership, a wearable or lots of free time to get off the couch and get active. In fact, with the Johnson & Johnson Official 7 Minute Workout app (free on iOS and Android) all you need is… yup, you guessed it, seven minutes. The app is designed to help you get the most out of whatever spare time you have, wherever you may be.
Developed by an exercise physiology specialist, with this app, you know you’re in good hands. For those of you who remain skeptical, you’ll be happy to know that workouts are tailored to your fitness level to make sure you get the most out of those seven little minutes.
3. Your Commute: No one likes a long commute. But for many of us, it’s a necessary part of the day. You might not be able to change that, but it doesn’t mean you should just grin and bear it. With a little help from some innovative technology, you can ensure your commute is as hassle free as possible.
An app like Moovit (free on iOS and Android) provides all the real-time public transport information you’ll ever need. It makes sure you get from point A to point B in the quickest time possible by letting you compare different routes. It even provides step-by-step navigation for those unsure of how to get around. With this app, you won’t spend a second more than you need to on your daily commute.
4. Your Apartment Hunt: Finding a new apartment can be overwhelming and terribly time-consuming. If you’re apartment hunting, Lovely (free on iOS) is what you’re looking for. This easy to use app helps renters find a place to call home quickly and easily with its real-time listings.
But it’s more than an apartment search tool. Lovely makes sure you don’t miss out on the home of your dreams. Renters receive notifications when new listings become available. And when you’re thinking of making an offer, there is the option to send a landlord a Renter Card to speed things up.
5. Your Budget: There’s never a better time than the present to get your finances in order. It means you’ll have some guilt-free leeway to splurge come holiday season. We recommend getting started with Mint (free on Android, iOS, Amazon and Windows), which helps you keep tabs on your spending by collecting all your financial activity, from investments and savings to checking, all in one place.
Mint is a great way to monitor and get on top of your budgeting. All you need to do is set your personal financial goals and Mint will help you meet them. You’ll receive progress updates as well as helpful financial advice tailored to you.
Has an app ever upgraded your life? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.