American Apparel made the sad announcement this week that it was closing all of its stores. And TBH, we’re all a little bit in mourning. That’s a big RIP to our favorite basic tees and hoodies in every color. If you’re also feeling the loss, try and cheer up. There are other stores out there to pick up the #basic slack when it comes to your wardrobe. These seven brands might never measure up to your favorite hipster locale (seriously, who else is going to carry those metallic bodysuits like AA could?), but there’s a silver lining: At least you won’t be left hanging when you’re in need of a new sweatshirt to heart.
1. Uniqlo: If you’re in need of some tees, tops, jeans and sweaters, welcome to the Japanese version of American Apparel. Uniqlo has all the basics covered, and the prices are decent. Stock up on the Supima Cotton Crew Neck T-Shirt ($10). It comes in every color FTW.
2. Everlane: TBH, one thing we won’t miss about American Apparel was that the clothes weren’t the best quality. Hello, shrunken hoodies after a few wash cycles, anyone? Luckily, you won’t have that problem with Everlane. They make the softest cashmere sweaters and silk tops you’ll want to wear to work every day. The Fisherman Cotton Zip Bomber ($98) looks so cozy. The price tag is a little higher, but consider what you buy here investment pieces.
3. Madewell: If your style is more all-American gal than hipster, you might love the basics you’ll find at Madewell. Check out their laid-back casual dresses and denim bar designed so you can find the perfect fit, no matter your body type. We’re crushing on the Velvet Bow-Back Top ($98) RN.
4. American Giant: Looking for somewhere new to shop now that your beloved AA is no more? Check out American Giant, where everything is made in the USA. You’ll find the tee shirts, long sleeve tops and sweatpants you’re after. Layer up the comfy Tri-Blend Raglan ($49) with your usual OOTD.
5. Target: There’s a reason your trusty Target store has been around forever. If you’re in need of basic tees, jeans and knits, they’ve always got your back. Plus, new reasons to love Target include fun collabs like the Who What Wear collection. Check out the Layered Raglan Dress ($35) that you’ll want to wear to work all the time.
6. ASOS: You probs already love ASOS when you need a dress for a wedding or other formal affair. Consider making this site your go-to when you need day-to-day wear too. They’ve got everything from tees to PJs to mini skirts in a rainbow of colors, like the cool and laid-back Washed Joggers With Luxe Elastic Waistband ($38).
7. Alternative Apparel: It sounds like American Apparel, but this cool brand actually is called Alternative Apparel. Their focus is on eco-friendly basics, so if you’re into the Earth, check them out. You’ll want to try on the super soft Adrian Eco-Fleece Zip Hoodie ($54). They have stores in Atlanta, San Francisco and NYC, and ship nationwide.
Looking for more #basic fashion inspo? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.