15 Ways to Make Ugly Appliances Cute
We get it. You moved into a rental and the appliances you inherited from the past three tenants are not quite the stainless steal stunners you were hoping for. If you’re not up for putting down the money for really super duper fab appliances that are really super duper expensive, we hear you. But there’s no reason to live with a fugly fridge or a dismal dishwasher. We’ve got the fix with DIY ways to take those unbecoming appliances from eww to new.
1. Bright Paint Job: Before you go getting all excited, the Smeg pictured here is actually pretty spendy. But that doesn’t mean you can’t take note and give your not-so-fancy fridge the same treatment. (via House to Home)
3. The Distraction Method: Updating ovens and stoves is hard. Mainly because of the intense heat factor. The best solution we found? Take the attention away from the plain white run-of-the-mill oven by placing it in a brightly painted room. The stark contrast actually makes the plain piece of machinery look pretty and modern. (via Loud and Clear)
4. Washi and Dryer: A DIY revamp without a washi mention? You know that ain’t going to happen at Brit + Co. We’ve featured this genius hack a couple of times in the past, and for good reason. It’s simple and super cute. (via A Beautiful Mess)
5. Masking Tape Everywhere: You already know we’re huge, huge, HUGE fans of washi tape, but as of late, masking tape is edging in on the more petite competition. We like having the option of a thicker more bold look. Just beware of bubbling. (via MT Casa)
6. Adhesive Vinyl: Get out the ruler, level, and adhesive vinyl. Your low-end dishwasher is getting a polka-dot revamp. If you have some design skillz and a Cameo Silhouette, the possibilities of what you could trick out are seriously endless. (via The Shabby Creek Cottage)
11. Chevron: Black appliances can equate to a black hole in your kitchen. Lighten things up with a chevron update. Just head to Target and pick up some plain white contact paper. (via Pocketful of Pretty)
13. Mini Fridge Chalk Board: Mini fridges run the gamut of dull to total Boresville. Rather than searching for one that’s actually worthy of your room, just get a plain white one, some chalkboard paint, and start writing away! We’re thinking the mini-bar menu would be a good place to start. (via A Beach Cottage)
How do you update old appliances? Let us know in the comments below!
Whether you want to tap into some holiday nostalgia, or find a fun DIY to do with your kiddos, this simple snow globe craft offers both! Together with Camp by Walmart, we built a customizable crafting journey so you can execute this decor upgrade based on your style preferences and the supplies you have around the house. For this project, you'll need to decide if you want your snow globe to be inside of a mason jar or glass orb, what type of snow you want (hello, glitter!), and what holiday scene should go inside. With 16 possible outcomes, we can't wait to see what you come up with. Check it out by watching the winter wonderland snow globe tutorial now!