21 Space Saving Tiny Bathroom Hacks to Buy or DIY
It’s safe to say that we’ve all had to deal with a small apartment with a tiny excuse for a bathroom at least once in our lives. And if you’re a city dweller, chances are you’re in that crammed and cluttered boat right now. Lucky for you, we’ve been there (or, more accurately, are there), and we feel your claustrophobic pain and want to help. There are a number of ways to organize all those bottles and towels and tools (oh my!) to create the illusion of more space in your WC. Here are 21 buy or DIY space savers to get you started. (Next up? Tackling that tiny kitchen!)
1. Tenby Living Corner Shower Caddy ($21): Looking for a shower caddy to accommodate your ever-growing bath bomb collection? This three-tiered caddy gets you. It even has an adorable custom mini shelf for your bar soap.
2. Threshold Milk Crate Wire Basket ($15): Here’s a versatile crate that fits every storage need. Towels? Roll them up and toss them in. Following the 14-step skincare routine? Toss all your beauty must-haves in this handy basket.
3. Miliang Hanging Organizer ($17): When bathroom counter space only has room for your curling iron and the sink, utilize the walls for little items like nail polish, hair products, your hairbrush, and cotton swabs.
4. Houzz Bamboo Hair Styling Station ($70): If you blow dry and/or straighten your hair daily, keep your tools and products within arm’s reach with this sleek storage station.
5. Deco Brothers Large Cabinet Drawer ($25): It’s easy to make a mess out of your under-sink cabinet. Organize the typical odds and ends with these stackable drawers.
6. XVL Wall Mounted Toothbrush Holder ($20): Organize your teeth-cleaning gadgets without sacrificing sink or counter space.
8. ZPC Over the Toilet Storage ($40): This storage unit fits above and around your toilet — a convenient way to add more shelving space to your tiny bathroom.
9. Homecube Hanging Organizer ($10): Hang it on the wall, the door, or the window. Whereever it goes, you’ll have a spot for all your beauty brushes and combs.
10. Badger Basket Three Drawer Hamper ($47+): This lightweight set of drawers will keep all your bathroom essentials neatly organized and hidden away.
11. Sunneday Cosmetic Organizer Kit ($10): Arrange your cosmetics and other small items using these sticky organizers.
12. Lynk Over the Door Hooks ($24): Let your towels and robes hang-dry in one space. No hammer required.
13. Whitmor Door Drying Rack ($14): If you’re known to hang-dry your laundry in the bathroom, use this collapsible over-the-door rack.
14. Maytex Shower Curtain With Pockets ($15): Position the pockets on the outside for easy access to your everyday toiletry needs or invert and use them to store your shampoo and conditioner.
15. Elegant Home Fashions White Wall Cabinets ($75): A small bathroom may not have a lot of floor space to work with, but you can — and should — take advantage of the walls. Light colors keep the space feeling open.
16. Moen Towel Bar ($19): Hang multiple towel bars on the bathroom door or wall for a streamlined way to hang your terry-cloth dryers.
More ideas to consider:
17. Magnetic Organizers ($10): Adhere magnetic makeup organizers to the inside of your medicine cabinet to keep track of lipstick, bobby pins, tweezers, and the like.
18. Spice Rack ($13): Not one to cook? Repurpose that unused spice rack for off-the-counter product storage.
19. Tiered Cake Rack ($50): Store everyday toiletries on an out-of-use tiered server.
20. Hanging Fruit Baskets ($30): Preserve floor AND wall space with fruit baskets that hang from the ceiling. For double the storage, you can even link two hanging baskets together.
21. Mirrors ($390): Create the illusion of a larger bathroom with a wall-covering mirror. Bonus points if it opens to shelves.
What space-saving hacks do you rely on to organize and de-clutter? Share them with us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.