15 Creamy Bisque Recipes for a Satisfying Supper
Mastering classic French recipes is a total rite of passage for the passionate home cook, and bisque, a smooth and creamy (traditionally seafood-based) soup, is right up there on the list. Don’t let its simplicity fool you — each bowlful is packed with flavor. Try your hand at these 15 recipes featuring vegetables, lobster, and more, and you’ll finally get all the fuss over French cuisine.
1. Roasted Sweet Corn and Apple Bisque: Make this soup at the end of summer, when corn and apples are both in season. It’s beguilingly sweet, but maintains a savory edge thanks to potatoes, onions, and thyme. (via Superman Cooks)
3. Chilled Avocado Bisque with Shrimp: On hot days, nothing hits the spot like a chilled soup. This one is topped with succulent shrimp, sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh herbs for big flavor. (via iFoodReal)
4. Roasted Pumpkin Apple Bisque: Get into the spirit of autumn with this roasted pumpkin and apple recipe. It’s topped with a lightly sweetened pecan crisp, which adds crunch and texture to your bowl. (via Blissful Basil)
5. Belgian Endive Soup: If you’ve always wanted to try endive, but weren’t sure how, here’s the (vegan-friendly) recipe for you. Soy cream and potatoes help tame the bitterness of the endive. (via Immigrant’s Table)
8. Buttermilk Pear Bisque: Tangy and sweet, buttermilk and pears give this recipe a surprisingly balanced flavor. It’s still a savory dish, though, thanks to white wine, leeks, garlic, and more. (via The Modern Proper)
11. Slow Cooker Shrimp and Crab Bisque: Just in case shrimp bisque wasn’t enough, this recipe adds juicy crab to up the ante. You can even make it in the slow cooker, for an elegant meal without the hard work. (via Yes to Yolks)
12. Tarragon Green Pea Bisque: Grassy green pea bisque, flavored with anise-like tarragon, adds a pop of verdant color to your dinner table. Garnish with pan-fried radishes for an unexpected textural contrast. (via Kitchen Window Clovers)
13. Roasted Red Pepper Bisque With Shrimp: Fire-roasted red peppers add an earthy sweetness to this pot of soup. Coconut milk and tapioca starch are used to thicken the broth, keeping this meal dairy and gluten-free. (via Cotter Crunch)
14. Cajun Seafood Bisque: A variety of seafood (shrimp, crawfish, lobster, and crab) turns this bisque into a surprisingly hearty meal. Cajun spices bring a little heat to the dish and helps balance out its richness. (via Gastro Senses)
For more modern takes on classic recipes, follow us on Pinterest.