5 BFA Red Carpet Trends You Can Totally Pull Off
The biggest names in British fashion graced last night’s BFA red carpet, all wearing their award show best to honor this year’s most major style movers including Victoria Beckham, Cara Delevingne and Emma Watson. The winners clearly brought it to the ceremony too — that’s kind of their thing — and so unsurprisingly, the event acted as a live lookbook for us to see what *we* should be suiting up in this season. Some tried-and-true winter staples like sequin and shimmer did make appearances, though both were restyled with the forward-thinking eye of a certified fashion girl, alongside trendier pieces that might just be the thing you need to refresh your party outfit: think statement blazers and pops of winter white. Scroll through for these and more red carpet trends straight from the fashion with tips on how you can *actually* pull them off this holiday. Yep, even Rihanna’s blazer-as-a-dress look.
1. Winter White: It’s no surprise what inspired this color to hit it big this season. As Kendall Jenner and Victoria Beckham show, winter white is a super chic alternative to the usual glitz of the season, especially when fully contrasted by black detail, like tuxedo stripes. Look for pieces that keep the accent minimal, like raised black hems or lapel trim, or go graphic with shapely color blocks, just be sure to skip the houndstooth patterns and breton stripes.
2. Statement Blazer: Don’t concentrate so much on the fact that both Rihanna and Emma Watson are going topless underneath what’s usually used as an office-ready layer. It’s only one sartorial takeaway of many from this duo’s daring pairings. We love the idea of wearing a blazer and a dress with matching hems to create a majorly flirty look, or tossing on a longline blazer over wide legged trousers to create an ultra posh and voluminous silhouette. For the latter, opt for a style that cinches at the waist (you’ll want to go full hourglass here) or one that’s more open, even cape-like, as not to totally weigh you down.
3. Preppy Sequins: Crew necks and pointed collars are usually the last details you look for on party-ready clothing, but as Cara Delivingne and Alexa Chung prove, preppy styles *do* work in full-on party mode. Tackle this twist on the typical sequined mini by mixing sparkling full-coverage pieces like a floor-length skirt or sequined cardigan with lighter garments like chiffon blouses and satin tanks, or contrast the shine with texture from wool trousers or fuzzy cropped knits.
4. Icy Pastels: No one said you had to stick to seasonal reds, greens and golds when it comes to your winter best, so why would you? Take a cue from Anna Kendrick and Lily Allen and slip into softer hues on garments you’ll be able to easily wear again (think: midi dresses, skater skirts, blazers). The best part about this off-season trend? You’ll be able to put those clothes right back on come springtime. Now, pair with layered metallic accessories, bright red lips and bold brows. Later, style ’em out with more delicate jewels, berry lips and a dewy face.
5. Frosty Shine: When Olivia Palermo and Karlie Kloss stunned in satin, we knew we had found our alternative to sequined frocks and glitter-flecked everything else. Whether you’re rocking it from head to toe or using it as a high-impact accent piece like on a blazer or even tailored trousers, the high shine fabric makes any outfit feel insanely luxe, even without statement makeup or wow-’em hair (#lazygirls FTW).
What red carpets do you snoop for your biggest style inspo? Tell us which celeb’s style you’re planning on *ahem* borrowing this holiday season in the comments below.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)