5 BFA Red Carpet Trends You Can Totally Pull Off
The biggest names in British fashion graced last night’s BFA red carpet, all wearing their award show best to honor this year’s most major style movers including Victoria Beckham, Cara Delevingne and Emma Watson. The winners clearly brought it to the ceremony too — that’s kind of their thing — and so unsurprisingly, the event acted as a live lookbook for us to see what *we* should be suiting up in this season. Some tried-and-true winter staples like sequin and shimmer did make appearances, though both were restyled with the forward-thinking eye of a certified fashion girl, alongside trendier pieces that might just be the thing you need to refresh your party outfit: think statement blazers and pops of winter white. Scroll through for these and more red carpet trends straight from the fashion with tips on how you can *actually* pull them off this holiday. Yep, even Rihanna’s blazer-as-a-dress look.
1. Winter White: It’s no surprise what inspired this color to hit it big this season. As Kendall Jenner and Victoria Beckham show, winter white is a super chic alternative to the usual glitz of the season, especially when fully contrasted by black detail, like tuxedo stripes. Look for pieces that keep the accent minimal, like raised black hems or lapel trim, or go graphic with shapely color blocks, just be sure to skip the houndstooth patterns and breton stripes.
2. Statement Blazer: Don’t concentrate so much on the fact that both Rihanna and Emma Watson are going topless underneath what’s usually used as an office-ready layer. It’s only one sartorial takeaway of many from this duo’s daring pairings. We love the idea of wearing a blazer and a dress with matching hems to create a majorly flirty look, or tossing on a longline blazer over wide legged trousers to create an ultra posh and voluminous silhouette. For the latter, opt for a style that cinches at the waist (you’ll want to go full hourglass here) or one that’s more open, even cape-like, as not to totally weigh you down.
3. Preppy Sequins: Crew necks and pointed collars are usually the last details you look for on party-ready clothing, but as Cara Delivingne and Alexa Chung prove, preppy styles *do* work in full-on party mode. Tackle this twist on the typical sequined mini by mixing sparkling full-coverage pieces like a floor-length skirt or sequined cardigan with lighter garments like chiffon blouses and satin tanks, or contrast the shine with texture from wool trousers or fuzzy cropped knits.
4. Icy Pastels: No one said you had to stick to seasonal reds, greens and golds when it comes to your winter best, so why would you? Take a cue from Anna Kendrick and Lily Allen and slip into softer hues on garments you’ll be able to easily wear again (think: midi dresses, skater skirts, blazers). The best part about this off-season trend? You’ll be able to put those clothes right back on come springtime. Now, pair with layered metallic accessories, bright red lips and bold brows. Later, style ’em out with more delicate jewels, berry lips and a dewy face.
5. Frosty Shine: When Olivia Palermo and Karlie Kloss stunned in satin, we knew we had found our alternative to sequined frocks and glitter-flecked everything else. Whether you’re rocking it from head to toe or using it as a high-impact accent piece like on a blazer or even tailored trousers, the high shine fabric makes any outfit feel insanely luxe, even without statement makeup or wow-’em hair (#lazygirls FTW).
What red carpets do you snoop for your biggest style inspo? Tell us which celeb’s style you’re planning on *ahem* borrowing this holiday season in the comments below.