Bacon seems to be the one thing that always makes breakfast better. Who doesn’t love waking up to a slice (or 12) of warm, crispy, savory bacon? We’ll let you in on a secret: The trick to making bacon even better is adding a touch of sweetness and a little funky spice to the mix to create the ultimate umami combo.
It’s been a tradition in my house to wake up on Sunday, preheat the oven, throw on a movie, and whip up my sweet and spicy bacon crack to help ease everyone’s hangovers. In fact, it’s almost a necessity for making sure the weekend ends on the right note. My friends have been obsessing over my candied bacon for years, and I thought it was finally time to share it with the world. There are a lot of components for sure, but once you find that right blend of spices, it’ll make your bacon pure heaven. The essential ingredient I add to my spice mix is pumpkin spice; it just makes everything better.
Nicole’s candied bacon
Recipe from Nicole Iizuka, Brit + Co
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tablespoons espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit; line a baking sheet with foil and place a rack on top of it.
- Remove the bacon from the package and lay out evenly on the rack.
- In a bowl, combine the spices until incorporated and then sprinkle an even layer on top of the bacon. Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and eat while warm.
If you do make your own batch of candied bacon, be sure to take a photo and tag us on Instagram.
(Photos via Nicole Iizuka / Brit + Co)