Meeting Your SO’s Parents Over the Holidays? Here’s What to Wear.
Much like a job interview, first impressions are important when meeting your beau’s parents for the first time. And like a job interview, this can be one of the most nerve-wracking meet-and-greets around. Throw in the pressure of the holiday season, and it’s full anxiety overload. If you’re coupled and worried about coming face-to-face with a new clan this season, take a deep breath and make a great first impression with these 18 must-have wardrobe staples. From ladylike silhouettes to party-appropriate sweaters, read on for our tips to help you look dazzling.
1. Feminine Lace: Sure, a plain pencil skirt is always a safe bet, but we love the idea of embracing your feminine side with a touch of colorful lace. Try this angelic lace skirt ($173) to add a bold bit of color to an otherwise blah outfit. (via Gal Meets Glam)
2. Steve Madden Leopard Heels ($99): Don’t embarrass yourself in too-high heels that you can barely walk in. If you’re meeting your SO’s folks in a situation where heels are required, the safest (and chicest) route is to stick with three-inch heels. If you’re looking to pump up your look, try a leopard print.
3. Bold Colors: A bright, jewel-toned ensemble not only shows your festive side, but it also proves you’re one creative lady who isn’t afraid to be different. Couple this vibrant skirt ($364) with an equally rich-hued blouse to copy the look. (via A Little Dash of Darling)
4. Spotty Swing Dress ($84): You can’t go wrong with a stylish figure-flattering dress. To keep it from being too boring, choose a sweet print like polka dots. To jazz up the look, spring for a bold lip and sharp pumps.
6. Mittens Sweater ($430): Planning a casual coffee date and don’t want to be overdressed? Opt for a charming sweater, like this playful Chinti & Parker one, and pair it with your favorite jeans for the ultimate cozy look.
7. Glam Details: Don’t be afraid to make a splash with killer accessories like this fashion editor. Statement necklace? Check. Leather paneling? Keep it feminine with a flirty skirt. Oh, and don’t forget to pick up flowers. (via Nicolette Mason)
8. Antler Necklace ($36): Show off your holiday cheer with this dainty antler necklace that can be worn year-round. Bonus points if you get one as a gift for your love’s mom.
9. Metallic Sweater: Dressing to meet your SO’s parents at a holiday party can be tricky. We think sequins are always appropriate, but this metallic sweater ($84) is a unique alternative and packs just as much sparkle. (via Atlantic-Pacific)
10. Tan Suede Bootie ($70): For those occasions when classic pumps are a bit too formal, go with a comfortable ankle boot. While we’re huge fans of the standard black version, these tan suede boots will keep your look casual but flirty.
11. Black Jumpsuit: Much like the LBD, you just can’t go wrong with a black jumpsuit ($65). Dress it down for daytime activities with strappy sandals and a colorful necklace, or dress it up with a powerful red lip. (via With Love from Kat)
12. Speckled Silk Scarf ($45): This beautiful one-of-a-kind gold-speckled scarf will add interest to even the simplest of outfits. Wrap it, knot it or use it as a shawl to keep stylishly warm.
13. Winter Vest: We get that the last thing you want to do is wear a bulky winter coat when meeting your boo’s folks for the first time. Take a cue from Poppy Delevingne and think outside the box — err, closet — with a shearling vest ($119) instead. (via Vanessa Jackman)
14. Grayson Bar Bag ($265): The addition of studs to an otherwise prim bag adds a hint of rocker-chic to your look. Key takeaway? Play up your accessories!
15. Ladylike Coat: Don’t be afraid to reach for your favorite pair of blue jeans, but may we suggest pairing them with a ladylike coat ($87) for a polished finish? This pastel hue classes up even the most destroyed jeans. (via Hello Fashion Blog)
16. Matte Lip Tar Trio ($25): Make a statement… with your lips. These satin-finish lip colors can be layered for a bold shade or lightly applied for a sheer hint of color. Plus, these bad boys don’t fade, so no worries on excusing yourself to reapply your lipstick.
17. Midi Skirt: Wear a mini and you risk looking too sexy, wear a maxi and you’re taking a chance with being overly casual. What’s a girl to do? Thankfully midi skirts ($43) are having a moment. These chic mid-length, full-bodied skirts are perfect for pulling off this season’s demure ladylike trends. Sass it up with a graphic print or a bold color. (via Wear and Where)
18. Boucle Moto Jacket ($28): Don’t even think about throwing on a leather jacket, which can come off a little too edgy for a date with the parents. Instead, go for a fab take on the classic silhouette with a boucle finish. We have a feeling Coco Chanel would approve.
Did this must-haves list quell your fears of meeting the parents? Did we leave anything off our list? Tell us in the comments!
Still haven't taken up that new creative skills you swore you'd learn this year? Or ready to take your design skills to the next level? Let's say so long to the weirdest year ever by checking those big learn-something-new goals off our perpetual to-do lists.
We've teamed up with Clorox to give you the gift of unlimited creativity now through the end of the year. Once you sign up, you can take as many of our 120+ classes as you want for FREE for one whole month!
Here's how it works:
- Head to brit.co/learn and sign up for the "All Access Pass."
- Use the code "CLOROXCARES" at checkout to redeem your free month of classes.
- You will be automagically signed up for Clorox's email list once you redeem your free all access pass. (It's the #1 Choice for Disinfection!)
- Your pass lasts one month from when you checkout. This means you have unlimited access to all the classes during that month.
This offer is valid now through December 27, 2020.
Browse our catalog to find the right class for you, tell a friend and take the class together over Zoom, or organize a 'cocktails + crafts' night with a friend in your bubble so you can learn something new together.
What are you waiting for? Time to start learning all the things!
Thanks to Clorox for making this happen! When it counts, trust Clorox.