19 Cool Girl-Approved Ways to Wear Velvet This Season
While velvet may get a bad rep for being solely a “mom” trend or an itchy fabric from our grade school days that we hoped would never see the light of day again, we’re more than ready to give it a second chance. You heard it first. Not just limited to black tie events or uptight boardroom meetings, velvet has become — dare we say it — straight-up chic. Don’t believe us? Look no further than these 19 velvet staples that can be tossed on with ease (boyish overalls, anyone?) for an understated look that is anything but blasé.
1. Jaded London Velvet Geo-Tribal Print Dress ($86): This colorful printed dress will have you movin’ and groovin’ to the beat in no time. Team it up with some retro steppers for legs that go on for miles.
2. Reformation Opera Bolero ($258): Oh, this old thang? ICYMI: Boleros are on the rise, and we could not be more pumped. Pair this guy with high-waisted flares or wear it as a stylish topper for an outdoor wedding.
3. J.O.A. Velvet Flounce Skirt ($40): Every girl needs at least one skirt that packs as much flounce as this mesmerizing midnight blue option. Slip it on with a crop top for a sultry after-hours look.
4. Forever 21 Plus Size Mock Neck Velvet Top ($13): Don’t underestimate the styling value of this hero piece in disguise. Be it a holiday fête or bar crawl, this burgundy velvet mock neck top will serve you well on a bevy of occasions. Black flares and a wide-brim hat are obligatory.
5. Nasty Gal Margot Velvet Mini Backpack ($58): Stay rad with this must-have mini velvet backpack straight out of the ‘90s. Pair this throwback style with a neon blue sweater dress and black ankle booties for the ultimate weekend look that will bring back all the feels.
6. AG Velvet Legging Jeans ($188): Who says comfort and luxury can’t be one and the same? These captivating blue leggings are an unexpected day-to-night option that gets our vote. Style ‘em up with dazzling drop earrings, an oversized fisherman sweater and sparkly loafers for a consistently on-point look.
7. Mango Pocket Velvet Dungarees ($80): Perfect your tomboy look with these burgundy dungarees that are lazy girl-approved. Combat the elements in style with a cozy turtleneck sweater and some tights for an A+ look that doesn’t forfeit comfort.
8. American Apparel Stretch Velvet Skater Dress ($65): Super flattering and girly, this velvet LBD with a head-turning scoop back is more than deserving of a spot in your rotation of going-out dresses. Class it up with a vintage herringbone blazer and some menswear-inspired loafers for major street cred.
9. Zara Velvet Kimono ($70): For mornings when you can’t even, this goldenrod kimono is here to help you nail that roll-out-of-bed-and-go routine. Accessorize with a tassel necklace and it could even pass for the office. #Winning
10. Johnny Loves Rosie Sadie Velvet Scrunchie ($29): Calling all ’90s kids — your favorite scrunchies are officially on the comeback trail. Just in time for the holidays, this embellished velvet option will make for a standout ponytail.
11. The Ragged Priest Bell Bottom Skinny Flares ($29): Embrace your hippie roots with these punchy orange bell-bottoms that call for a fringe vest and chunky platform heels.
12. ASOS Early Days Velvet Lace Up Ankle Boots ($68): Repeat after us: Wardrobe conundrums do not exist when you have a pair of lace-up booties this sleek in your possession. Parade these bad boys all around town with leather leggings or a lace dress with bell sleeves.
13. Line & Dot Senne Velvet Jumpsuit ($218): Be a boss by owning this floral jumpsuit with as much panache as you’ve got. Add in some towering platforms and chandelier earrings for a killer look that can do no wrong.
14. ASOS Velvet Mini Skirt With Zip Front ($20): There’s no flying under the radar in this vibrant turquoise mini that’s fit for a rager or a night of clubbing. Pull out all the stops — a holographic jacket and ‘90s-esque choker — for a rebellious look that is so right now.
15. Arnold Velvet Overalls by Unique ($370): Step up your sartorial game in an instant with these ultra luxe brown overalls that read full-fledged fashion girl. For an unassuming getup, keep things streamlined with an airy silk blouse and subtle (but sparkly!) steppers.
16. For Love & Lemons Vienna Mini Dress ($368): Have a fancy dress, will find a formal affair to wear said dress to. Perfect for holiday soirees and even New Year’s Eve gatherings, this sheer dress with an intricate velvet design is guaranteed to steal the night away.
17. J.Crew Velvet Ankle-Strap Ballet Flats ($188): Ballet flat connoisseurs, rejoice. Allow these peachy-pink party flats to dress up every #OOTD from here on out. Style ‘em with anything from your prized boyfriend jeans to a classic wool mini for a toe-tapping new look.
18. Topshop Two-in-One Velvet Cord Romper ($115): Score big in the style department with this twofer that’s a cross between your favorite pinafore dress and off-duty romper. Go ahead and channel your inner Alexa Chung by slipping on a pussybow blouse and some lace-up flats.
19. Free People Splice Velvet Maxi ($118): Enter in the most versatile maxi slip dress of the season that will leave you crushing hard. Complement the plunging neckline and daring slit with a body chain + tough-girl leather jacket for the win.
Will you be incorporating any of these velvet statement pieces into your fall/winter wardrobe? Let us know in the comments below!