Suits might be the epitome of office attire, but we’re ready to go beyond the matchy-matchy looks that have been the standard for decades. Sure, they might look impeccably polished, but there are other ways to achieve the same effect without sacrificing personality. We’re talking new silhouettes, bright colors and chic patterns. Here, we’ve put together 11 office-appropriate pairings that will totally change the way you approach your work-week wardrobe.
1. ASOS Clean Linen Blazer ($81) + Mango Culottes ($70): This pairing is a total double whammy, with bold, bright color on the top and a free-flowing silhouette on the bottom. It’s the ideal ensemble for when your creativity needs a kickstart, and it’s crazy comfortable to boot. Just add chunky-heeled pumps and get ready to get your #girlboss on.
2. Woolrich Blanket Coat ($550) + J.Crew Collection Silk Lamé Pull-On Pant ($368): This innovative outfit is as close as you can get to rocking PJs at work without having HR get on your case. A wooly blanket coat gives the impression of an elevated blazer, so you can stay cozy while keepin’ it real. Sleek metallic joggers have that whole office-appropriate athleisure thing down.
3. ASOS Coat in Lightweight With Contrast Liner ($70) + Reformation Betton Pant ($178): An out-of-control agenda means you need all the help you can get to make it through the day, and your wardrobe is a good place to start. Energize your outfit with shades of sunny yellow and floral prints in relaxed silhouettes.
4. River Island Premium Sleeveless Tailored Jacket ($117) + Double Up Layered Trousers ($68): Show off both sides of your personality with a sleeveless jacket that just screams “I’ve got this,” and add crossover trousers with a serious sartorial edge. Style this on-point combo with pointed-toe loafers, a sleek silver cuff and simple white top.
5. Forever21 Collared Longline Chambray Jacket ($28) + Topshop Flared Pants ($80): Sneak a little denim into your nine-to-five rotation with a longline jacket in lightweight chambray. Layer it over polished trousers in a throwback flare style, bow-neck blouse and platform heels.
6. J.Crew Leather-Trim Mixed Bomber Jacket ($350) + & Other Stories Tailored Trousers ($130): Leave the blazer behind and think outside the box when it comes to your workweek topper. You’ll earn most-stylish-employee status when you show your co-workers how a bomber jacket can be a part of a dress-code-approved getup, rocking it on top of bright ankle-cut trousers and high-shine brogues.
7. Topshop Premium Sleeveless Longline Jacket ($140) + Unique Maida Wide-Leg Pants ($240): A twist on the whole dress-over-pants thing, this longline jacket and shiny pant pairing is as effortless as it is fashion forward. Throw in a long-sleeve top, a statement necklace and ankle boots and you’ve got your new favorite office outfit.
8. Y.A.S. Lovely Suede Jacket ($448) + Zara Bell Bottom Leather Trousers ($190): Straight up sass, this ensemble features leather bottoms with a don’t-mess attitude and a sophisticated kimono jacket in clay-colored suede. Add-ons like pointed-toe kicks and stilettos will play up the tough-girl edge, while skinny scarves and soft knits will lighten up the look.
9. COS Cropped Mesh Blazer ($99) + ASOS TALL Jersey Peg Pants in Grid Check ($40): Dressed for success takes on a whole new meaning with ultra contemporary separates like a mesh blazer and bold grid-check pants. Whether you wear it with lace-up heels and a button-down or menswear-inspired steppers and a turtleneck, you’ll be racking up style points left and right.
10. Reformation Opera Bolero ($258) + Zara Wide Trousers ($70): Cropped velvet and wide legs — yes, please! A fitted bolero (with a little room for layering, of course) balances out the oversized feel of these mohair trousers, while adding texture and elegance to this on-duty ensemble.
11. J.Crew Collection Tuxedo Vest ($250) + Mango Buttoned Trousers ($70): Chinos probably don’t hold a place of prestige in your closet, but these button-front bottoms are about to change all that. Swap them in for you typical trousers, then style with an of-the-moment vest, sweater and ankle boots with attitude.
How would you reimagine the classic suit? Tell us in the comments!