8 Chic Ways to Wear Plaid This Fall
Lumberjacks, man-buns and hipsters (all of which seem to go hand-in-hand these days) might come to mind when you think plaid, but this age-old pattern has major potential for a supremely chic getup — seriously. The classic plaid shirt has laid claim to space in most of our closets, and while we love them, they’re not exactly breaking any new sartorial ground. Luckily for all us plaid-loving ladies, there are plenty of ways to take this classic pattern to the next level. Think: unexpected silhouettes, colors and modern lines.
1. Free People Plaid Relaxed Pant ($30): Plaid trousers might not be new, but cropped culotte styles are totally on-trend. Pair that with an oversized coat and a cropped tee, and you’ve got a getup that’s anything but standard. This definitely isn’t your grandpa’s plaid.
2. Paul by Paul Smith Easy Fit Jersey Dress ($242): Unexpected pattern placement makes this plaid number feel like a work of modern art. The frock’s laid-back cut adds an off-duty edge to the print’s contemporary feel, while casual kicks send any stuffy, preppy vibes to the curb.
3. The Fifth Label in the Moment Coat ($88): Tartan jackets are a serious blast from the past, but as on-point Australian label The Fifth proves, they’re back in a big way. The oversize silhouette puts a modern twist on the throwback topper, while playing off the popularity of borrowed-from-the-boys styles that are dominating the fashion scene these days. Pair up with sleek separates and mules for an ensemble that’s all-out chic.
4. Cooperative Asymmetrical Hem Plaid Tank Dress ($69): Jumpers might have a school girl quality, but with bold, magnified patterns and an asymmetric hem, this shift dress is more edgy than sweet. Take things to the next level with a classic tee, biker jacket and ankle boots.
5. Elan Boxy Plaid Sweater ($68): Meet that plaid shirt’s cozier cousin: the oversized sweater. If you’re lucky, you can score one of these babies in your dad’s closet. If not, this updated version isn’t a bad bet either. Pair it with boyfriend jeans, a button down and menswear-inspired steppers.
7. Sam + Lavi Sketched Plaid Midi Skirt ($195): You don’t need to channel your inner Highlander to rock a little plaid from the waist down. This midi skirt is flirty, feminine and oh-so-on-point for fall.
8. Lovers + Friends Get Down Blouse ($125): With a plunging neckline and sheer fabric, this checked number is dishing out the sass. Leather skirts, tailored pants and killer pumps are a must.
What’s your favorite way to wear plaid? Tell us in the comments!