11 Fashionable Ways to Not Look Like You’re Trying Too Hard
Impeccable style — it’s something we all aspire to have, but what constitutes great style varies drastically from woman to woman. It’s so personal and goes well beyond It girl-approved bags, designer threads or the latest crop of street style trends. It’s derived from feeling comfortable and confident in your clothes, a feeling that can ultimately lend even the trickiest of garments an effortless air — further proof that sartorial smarts can’t be bought or sold. There are, however, a few timeless and trend-right tricks that can help you amp up your style game stat without wreaking of effort and looking like you are trying so so hard. The best part? They translate to just about every style approach out there.
1. Invest in a few killer pairs of shoes. Even the most understated #OOTD can feel like street style bait when styled alongside a pair of statement kicks. Be it an eye-catching embellishment, OTT print or a one-of-a-kind detail like a sculptural heel, a chic pair of steppers will never steer you wrong. For endless RN edge, opt for a show-stopping set of white ankle boots that break every fashion rule — in a totally ah-mazing way.
2. Try a little off-the-shoulder action. A simple shrug of the shoulders can instantly usher your outfit into It-girl territory — no joke. Test drive this street style signature a la The Fashion Guitar’s Charlotte Groeneveld, and let one coat shoulder fall to the side, revealing the duds underneath. Besides creating a layered look, the move screams laid-back cool.
3. Elevate your outfit with OTT earrings. This two-second style move has long-lasting repercussions — don’t be surprised when the compliments start rolling in. Asymmetric and larger-than-life styles have been dominating the runway and the streets, doing jewelry boxes everywhere proud. Here, stylist and fashion consultant Zina Charkoplia amps up the It-factor on a simple white blouse by styling it alongside statement drop earrings by Nocturne Studio.
4. Dress up denim with fancy steppers. Sneakers have a time and a place (we especially like ’em with flirty, feminine frocks to create a bit of cool contrast), but they’ve got nothing on a pair of haute kicks when it comes to injecting jeans with Instababe edge. Shimmery kitten heels lend photographer Tamu McPherson’s colorful off-duty getup a touch of uptown flavor.
5. Never underestimate the power of eye-catching outerwear. Be it a lovely longline duster or a bold-and-bright car coat, outerwear that packs a punch will do big things for your cool-weather style. Do like Tine Andrea and add big-time drama to your look by layering on a color-block topper. Bonus points for popped collars and statement shades.
6. Team athleisure essentials with timeless staples. It doesn’t get much more effortless than this. Pair sporty side-stripe trousers (or equally as ah-mazing side-button stunners) with a rib knit turtleneck, tailored blazer and pumps for a sophisticated look that epitomizes lazy-girl chic.
7. Toss on a pair of socks. ICYMI: Socks are having a major moment. Yes, socks. And this snap of blogger Lucy Williams is proof. To pull off the look like a pro, opt for fishnet, graphic, sheer and shimmery styles that pack a punch.
8. Throw some shade. Alexa Chung and every fashionable femme out there knows that a pair of of-the-moment shades can have transformative powers. Add a statement-making set to your #OOTD, then keep the rest of your accessories on the minimalist side for maximum impact. Your shades are one of the first things people see when they give your getup a glance, and best believe that a good pair is capable of showing off your fashion prowess.
9. Double up for a polished look. A suit always looks sharp, but a classic suit jacket and trouser combo isn’t the only route to perfectly polished style. Take a note out of Sara Escudero’s style book and match your look from head to toe. In addition to rocking a matching pajama set, she opted for complementary accessories, teaming the look with a neutral Celine bag that played off the ensemble’s graphic print.
10. Get creative with your layering. Mastering the art of layering is no easy feat, but, as writer and creative consultant Camille Charrière demonstrates, it’ll put you on the fast track to vestiary notoriety. This season’s must-try look? The whole slip-over-turtleneck thing.
11. Stick with subtle trends. Staying ahead of the fashion curve doesn’t have to mean donning OTT ensembles that are out of your comfort zone. Follow Pernille Teisbaek’s lead and swap out everyday essentials with unexpected alternatives — like these stirrup leggings — to keep your look feeling fashion-forward and fresh. (And yeah — you won’t have to look back through your #OOTDs and cringe.)
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!