Left It to the Last Minute to Prepare Your Halloween Snacks? Deviled Egg Brains Are the Perfect Solution
Deviled eggs are a favorite at any party, and there’s no reason why they shouldn’t feature at your Halloween party this year too! These deviled egg brains are surprisingly easy to make, and you can even make them from ingredients that you probably already have in the house. So if you’ve left it a bit too late to plan your Halloween snacks, or you’re throwing a last-minute party, these are the perfect solution.
Deviled Egg Brains Ingredients
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- black pepper
- few drops red food coloring
1. Boil the eggs in plenty of water for 10 minutes. Drain, then rinse in cold water. Set aside until they are cool enough to handle.
2. Lightly tap each egg around the middle with the blade of a knife, and carefully peel away the shell. Rinse the eggs to remove any last fragments of shell.
3. Cut each egg in half lengthwise, and gently scoop out the yolks. Add the yolks to a mini food processor, along with the mustard, mayonnaise and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Blitz thoroughly until smooth. Add a few drops of red food coloring, and blitz again. Continue adding a few drops at a time until you achieve a shade of pink that you’re happy with.
4. Transfer the egg yolk mixture to a piping bag with a small round tip — or, if you don’t have a piping bag, use a plastic food bag with one corner cut off, creating a tiny hole. Use the piping bag to fill each egg white, then pipe on the brain pattern — create wiggly lines on each side, with a straight line down the centre. It may take a little practice; if you want to start over, just return the yolk mixture to the piping bag and try again. Serve the deviled eggs chilled.
I love these little deviled egg brains! You can make them as realistic or as cartoony as you like — play around with piping bag tip sizes and different techniques to give different effects. They’re also really forgiving; if you’re not happy with how one of your brains looks, you can just pipe a new brain over the top.
Have you got any easy treats planned for Halloween? Share your ideas on Twitter @BritandCo!